From:
Sharon Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:19:00 EDT
Hello Sidsel, Is there anything else you can tell us about Angoras?  I have
been utterly fascinated with them since I heard of them 3 years ago.  I
have followed every lead and usually come up empty handed here in the USA.

There is definitely at least one respectable supplier.  He is not a
breeder, his Angora ferrets come from Denmark and he is in New York.  The
other is somewhere near the West coast and claims to have breeding Angoras
but will only offer "half breeds".  So I think her claim to having breeding
angoras is circumspect.

My biggest question I suppose is, Are there other breeders of Angoras in
Denmark?

http://www.parrotsoftheworld.com/
Parrots Of The World Welcomes You

http://www.ferpharm.dk/
FerPharm

http://www.geocities.com/mputorius
 Mom & Pop Ferretry

These are the three places that I know of where to aquire Angora Ferrets.
FerPharm is in Denmark.  That is the man who actually developed that line.
(supposedly)  The first is just an exotic pet outlet that sells the ferrets
from FerPharm.  And the last Mom & Pop is the one I said offered half bred
angora ferrets.

If there is a place in Denmark to purchase an Angora Ferret for $180
American dollars, then shipping, I would like to look into it.  If you
contact Ferpharm they just refer you to the parrot place.

A friend and I were discussing the health of angora ferrets.  It is
possible that they are prone to problems since we are relatively sure the
breeder had to do some "line breeding" to get a decent number of ferrets
with the angora traits.  After he had enough (whatever number that might
be) he probably began expanding his gene pool to get as far away from
whatever health conditions might have been inherent in the original few.
The more generations away you get from the original set, the less likely
genetic problems are to follow.  But are still possible.  After enough
generations go by and if this is all handled by a careful and responsible
breeder you CAN wind up with a "disease" free line of ferrets.  I don't
mean that they can't get ECE or Rabies or distemper, I was speaking
generally.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a special animal.  I love unique and
different animals with different traits.  I love my ferrets and nothing
will change that, but looking at a beautiful long haired ferret prancing
about your living room can bring a certain joy to your heart, in the
delight of a beautiful animal.  I have had shelter ferrets, and rescue
ferrets, and purchased ferrets.  I have treasured even those that were
here only for days.  I also think I am entitled to enjoy the beautiful,
most especially since it is available!  LOL!  If I thought I could find
an angora ferret in a shelter I would be hunting right now!  But I only
know of one, and I've heard its bad tempered and its in another state.  I
don't mind bad tempered, I've had plenty of "mean" incurable biters, etc
who have turned out to be so sweet.

Ummm, I think thats all I meant to say.  I hope I was clear enough and
don't get flamed on my very first post!

Hope to hear from you Sidsel!
Sharon