From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:23:20 -0800
>I was keeping the cabinets closed with duct tape. ... replaced the tape
>with hook and eye latches.  It took Amelia less than a day to figure out how
>to push the latch open... In my new apartment, the kitchen is off-limits :)"

OK. Forget child locks. I have never had one of my ferrets get into a
cupboard or closest with...VELCRO!!!! Go to the drugstore or fabric store
and in the sewing section they have velcro strips in all sorts of different
sizes. You cut them to fit, and stick one side on the back of the door, and
one side on the inside of the cupboard where it meets when it closes. (When
you first stick the velcro, don't close the cupboard, it takes 24 hours for
the glue to really take hold.) It's still easy to open and close the
cupboards, and my little ones CAN NOT get them open, no matter how hard they
try! Also...my kitchen closets are the sliding door kind. A strip of velcro
on one side of the door, with the other strip of velcro on the other door,
takes care of it. Ferts can't get in, and my husband doesn't cuss at 4am
when he tries to get to his work boots in the dark, and can't open the
closet door!

CA DJ, Boo-Boo and Lil' Dude!