From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:01:45 -0500
I wonder why the company is named "Mustela"?  Years ago a number of skin
care products used to advertise "mink oil", especially bath beads.  I do
not know if mink oil is derived from mink.  Time to look things up.

Later: So far I have not been able to find if Mustela uses mink oil in
its products.  Let me try a less direct route.

Later: Okay, Wikipedia says in part:

> Mink oil
> Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under
> their skins.  This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is
> skinned and is then rendered into mink oil.  Mink oil is a source
> of palmitoleic acid which possesses physical properties similar
> to human sebum, therefore mink oil is used in several medical and
> cosmetic products.  Mink oil is also favored for treating and
> preserving leather.

and later:

> Botanical alternatives to Mink Oil as a source of palmitoleic
> acid include Macadamia Nut Oil (Macadamia integrifolia) and Sea
> Buckthorn Oil (Hippophae rhamnoides), both of which contain a
> larger percentage of palmitoleic acid (22 and 40% respectively)
> than does Mink Oil (17%).

I do NOT know if fur fitch that are used for their pelts are also put to
this use.  It is not uncommon for many parts of the animal to be turned
to profit by animal processing facilities.  For example, with cattle,
almost nothing is left once done: tallow makes candles and some
cosmetics, blood meal and bone meal go to the horticultural uses, etc.

From the fur industry:
http://www.furcommission.com/Biology/oil.html

Note that it is also used in some of the products to waterproof leather.

In a chart in
<http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legislation/acts-lois/ingredients-2_e.html>
it says that in European ingredient labels Mink Oil is instead listed
as "Mustela".  In some places it is listed as "Mink Wax".  Isn't Mustela
a European company?

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan