From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 1994 22:28:47 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 13 of LOTS ***

4.2> What vaccinations will my ferret need, and when?

[begin NH]
IMRAB rabies vaccine - yearly, starting at about 6 months old.
(This is the same rabies vaccine as is used for dogs and cats; your
vet should have it on hand.)

Fervac-D or Fromm-D canine distemper vaccine - see below.
(Fervac-D is ferret specific, so many vets may not carry it.  Fromm-D
is commonly used for dogs.)  Kits should be vaccinated at 8 weeks, 11
weeks, and 14 weeks.  But they should have at *least* a series of two
shots, three weeks apart, with the last one when the ferret is older
than 14 weeks.  Then 1 booster shot yearly.

Adult ferrets who have never been vaccinated, the shots are out of
date, or the ferret is of unknown vaccination status, should receive a
series of two [distemper] vaccinations, three weeks apart, then
booster shot yearly.

Note: although rabies is the more publicized of the two, the distemper
shot is MUCH more important for your ferret's health.

Also be advised that most states do not recognize the rabies vaccine
for ferrets.  The "official" studies on shedding time have yet to be
done.  So, even if vaccinated, your ferret will be destroyed if
someone reports to the authorities that they were bitten (scratched,
looked at cross-eyed) by him/her.  BUT, the vaccination will most
likely keep the person from reporting the ferret in the first place.
And, it will protect your ferrets from getting rabies on the chance
that they are bitten by a rabid animal.

[begin BW]
An extra distemper shot, in cases where a vaccination history is not
known, will not hurt a ferret.  Vaccinations is one area in which it
is better to be safe than sorry.

[begin PG]
If you cannot obtain the ferret distemper vaccine, use a KILLED VIRUS
vaccine that is NOT cultured in ferret tissue.

4.3> Do I need to spay/neuter my pet?  How about descenting?
     Declawing?

[begin PG]
In short: Yes, you'll need to spay/neuter.  Descenting is a matter of
opinion, and declawing should NOT be done.

[begin MW]
Unless you plan to breed them, [you need to spay/neuter them].  If
you don't, the male will mark his territory by "sliming" it (rather
gross if he decides your bare feet are his) and the female will go
into heat and stay that way until she is bred or dead (from anemia).
Most pet stores sell ferrets already fixed and descented.

How about descenting?  A good idea, this can be done at the same time
you have your pet fixed.  Ferret "spray" is not nearly as bad as a
skunk but it wouldn't make a good perfume either.  Your ferret will
still have an odor, but descenting will prevent the "clouds" from
rising, should your pet be startled.

Declawing?  Ferrets have dog-type claws.  Have you ever heard of
someone declawing a dog?

[begin BW]
It has been my experience that ferrets will also express their anal
glands when amorous, and they may be amorous around people as well as
other ferrets.

[begin PG]
There's a bit of debate about whether descenting ferrets is necessary
or useful, and some belief that it's even harmful.  It's bad for a
ferret's health to descent it before 6 or 7 weeks of age, and it may
be somewhat harmful when done at any age.  Some people feel that the
procedure accomplishes no purpose; that is, that neutered ferrets who
aren't very frightened smell the same whether or not they've been
descented.  Note that, like a skunk, a ferret will use its scent
if it's greatly distressed, but ferrets can't spray their scent as
effectively as a skunk.  Their scent also isn't as bad as a skunk's,
and I'm told it dissipates in 15 minutes or so.

There's no debate whatsoever about neutering pet ferrets. Neutering
drastically reduces the odor of a male and makes him less aggressive
(males in season may kill other ferrets, even females), and spaying
saves a female's life.

Likewise, there's no debate about declawing.  Ferrets can't be
declawed; it would cripple them.