From:
Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 18:55:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

I just finished reading the post about the shelter owner who wanted the
daughter to babysit for her children for two weeks in exchange for the
ferret.  I too agree that it was a somewhat bizare request, however, I bet
it stemmed from the shelter owner wanting the DAUGHTER to feel that the
ferret personally cost her something (as opposed to her mom just buying it
for her).  Perhaps the shelter owner felt that the girl should prove that
she really wanted the ferret and would work to demonstrate her
responsibility.  This might give some indication of how the ferret would
would be treated later.  I also wonder how old this daughter was.

Perhaps a more appropriate solution would have been for the shelter owner to
request that the girl come in and care for some shelter ferrets for a while.
That way she could make sure the girl knew who to properly care for her new
pet as well as that she would accept responsibility for "paying" for the
animal.  Just some thoughts

     Rebecca, Jitterbug and Monkey