From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 06:07:56 PDT
Hello everyone!

I am presently typing with a neon pink bandaid on my finger, but more on
that later.

I have been on the look out for a large ferret.  My biggest fert is (was)
3.0-3.2 when I got him.  As I mn-oops, mentioned a few posts ago, my boy
is down to 2.2-2.4 lbs.  Anyway, our local ferret shelter mom called me to
say there may be a big boy heading for the shelter.  On Saturday she told
me he was in and please come and look.  We both knew he had a home even
before the offer was given.

Sully (the nickname for Solomon) is a 3.10 lb.  silver male.  He was found
by a "former ferret mom" abandoned on the streets in a town not far away.
This lady called the shelter, but also did research to try and locate
Sully's mommy or daddy.

I was told Sully was a biter.  When I went to visit him and bring him
homne-oops, home he cuddled in my arms and gave me little kisses on the
chin.  Wow!  For a real spook ball he was a lover.

Since I work next door to where I live, I let Sully spend **some** time in
the main cage with my other kids (usually, he is seperated).  Dante, the
baby, thought he was *IT*.  He followed Sully everywhere like a star struck
younger brother.  He even curled up next to Sully for a nap.

Sully is pretty shy and or frightened of his five new siblings.  He would
sit in the corner of the cage with these huge frightened eyes (why, I don't
know because the other five are real laid back and friendly) until he saw
me.  Then his eyes would brighten and he'd come to the cage door for me to
pick him up.  Did I?  Nahh.  Of course not.  (Yes, I did).

The shelter Mom called last night to check on Sully.  While I was talking to
her he put his teeth on my finger just as my others do.  I thought, oh, how
cute!  The next thing I knew he dug his teeth into my index finger, even
moving his head back and forth so that he could get in good and hard.
Needless to say, I screamed (and into the ear of the shelter Mom who felt
horrible about the incident).  I know this is part of the package in dealing
with a frightened baby who was found out in the big bad world all by his
widdle self (and who knows what has happened in his short life), but how
long does this last.  I have to admit I am a bit frightened of him, but I do
not blame him.  I understand.  How long will it take until he calms down and
gets along with his new siblings (he even bit Domi, a sweetie, who just
underwent tons of medical proceedures to find out she is a tad enemic)?  And
how do I teach him biting is a no-no?  Any advise will be greatly
appreciated.  Especially, from my neon bandaged pointer.

Regarding ferret ignorance (including politicians in CA and UT): What if we
got together to get a show such as 48 Hours to do an episode on ferrets?  We
could educated the public (and the politians) and show the unfair justice
shown to ferts by those who are supposed to be working for us (as in we are
their employers!)...the politians and judges!  Also, there could be a
segment on BFF.  Not just from an endangered point of view, but also from
the stand point that even though they *are* ferrets, they are *NOT* directly
related to our funny, furry, theiving, loving domesticated ferrets.  i.e.
these are wild; these are not wild.  These are domesticated; these are not
domesticated.

Just a thought.

Lise