From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 16:02:34 -0500
One of the things that really surprised my was the amount of mail I've
received regarding Trish, White Fang, and ECE.  Literally, I have 43 "Don't
give Trish White Fang" and 32 "Give Trish White Fang" messages.  Some of
these are quite nasty, but don't ask to see them because I have deleted them
all.  (You won't see cross-postings from me).  Some of the messages even
attacked my character, which is quite understandable in many personal
arenas, but hey, they kind of left me wondering "why?"

First, let me say that I only have good feelings for the major players in
this argument.  While I have yet to meet Trish, I have been greatly
impressed with her deep and committed love towards ferrets.  Her adoption
policies (to place ferrets) are tougher than the State of Texas (to place
people), and I should know; I've adopted children from Texas.  Trish
declined to place White Fang with me because she could not visit my house,
and because she had never met me in person.  Also, there were others ahead
of me on the list, who wanted this little lady before I even knew about her.
I will not fault her for this, nor ask her to change her policies to please
me or anyone else.

I knew what I was doing when I agreed to transport White Fang from Calgary,
Canada to the heart of Texas, realising that I would have her in my custody
for almost two months.  Yes, we bonded, but I was a foster parent, not the
adoptive parent.  White Fang is loving and intelligent; she will bond to her
permanent owners without a problem, I am sure.  I will envy them somewhat,
but as long as White Fang is well cared for and happy, I haven't lost
anything, but become a part of something wonderful.
tt
At no time did White Fang ever belong to me. Dispite some suggestions, I
could not ethically "kit-nap" her. I promised I would transport, and I was
honor-bound to fulfill that promise. Yes, I knew White Fang would be
exposed to ECE, and certainly I did not want her to suffer or risk extreme
illness or even death, BUT that decision was never mine to make. From
Trish's point of view, there was no proof White Fang had not been exposed
or even recovered from ECE, and she was young enough to recover. In all
fairness, Trish, after consultation with Monica and Margaret, had decided
to leave White Fang in my care, but because I never returned a call (while
on the road) I never got the message. By time I found out, both of us had
been exposed to the virus, blocking the possiblity. So, ultimately, it was
my fault White Fang was exposed to ECE, because I never returned a call to
Monica in time to discover the change in plans.

As for the ECE questions, and you have to forgive me if the subject has been
closed; I have yet to catch up on the FML.  It seems to me that the basic
question is "If ferrets are bound to get ECE, why not expose them early when
they can physically recover?" I think this is a very good question, one that
we all must ultimately answer.  I have some comments.  I understand (and
somewhat agree to) both sides of the argument, but admit I fall on the "Do
not expose" side for several reasons, the most important being the long term
effects of the disease are poorly understood.  Can ferrets have relapses?
How long are they infective?  What happens to the bowel years after the
disease seems to have disappeared?  These questions need long term study to
answer, and ECE simply hasn't been a serious problem long enough for some of
these questions to be answered fully.

Second, I've suffered serious and life-threatening bowel problems.  They are
very painful, and even good days can be quite distressing.  I refuse to
believe ferrets (or ANY animal) cannot feel pain.  The sensations caused by
sloughing off portions of the bowel lining, having chronic liquid stools
(and associated anal chapping and cracking), gas and God knows what else,
MUST be nasty.  Folks, pain is pain, even if the ferrets hide it somewhat.

Third, I don't buy the argument that ECE exposure at an early age is like
measles exposure.  I remember having measles, and the neighborhood ladies
running their daughters over to catch it.  But, in non-pregnant Europeans
anyway, measles is fairly benign, with little risk of death.  Not so with
ECE.  Also, we know the long term effects of the measles, and those of ECE
are still being studied.  Sure, you might get a recovery and perhaps even
some immunity, but what if the virus damages the cells such that it
increases cancer risks tremendously?  Doesn't happen?  Wrong!  There are
dozens of correlations between viral infections and later cancers.  Just ask
any doctor about the cancer risks of women getting herpes.

Last, it is not neccessarily true that ECE will take over, and all ferrets
will get it sooner or later.  We can act responsibly, and segregate exposed
from non-exposed ferrets.  Just take standard public health precautions,
some common sense, and a strong ethical position, and the disease can be
curtailed, even "starved-out," at least until medicines can be created.
Heck, I can come up with many more reasons, but these along are good enough.
I am currently ECE free, yet have visited many ECE households without
problems.  To tell the truth, I am far more worried about distemper than
ECE, and pancreatic/adrenal disease than distemper.

I've mentioned Trish's name but have not identified anyone else, not to make
Trish standout, but because she was the central figure in the White Fang
controversy.  In truth, WE ALL KNOW both sides have nothing but the welfare
of ferrets foremost.  I have been stuck between a rock and a hardspot for
the last few weeks over this mess.  I do think Trish could have been more
sensitive to the arguments against ECE exposure--I think she misread the FML
attitudes, especially about White Fang--but I'll be damned if I'll fault her
for her decisions.  I respect the work she has done, which I am sure is
reflective of her character, even if I disagree with her conclusions towards
ECE.  Who knows, she may be right....

Anyway, just my two cents. I consider everyone on the FML my friend, and
will not choose sides against people, only arguments.

Mo' Bob and the 19 Furry Poop-shooters.