From:
Dave & Debbi Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 10:59:38 -0700
Hello All,

I have posted about this problem before so please forgive me if I'm
repeating myself.  Unfortunately for my poor little ferret it hasn't been
solved yet.  Finney started having back end weakness about 8 months ago,
he also had hair loss by his upper back tail area.  The weakness got worse
so we decided to have an exploratory surgery done.  My vet took all of the
left adrenal and part of the right.  He also said that he looked at the
pancreas and there were no visible tumors.  Finney's weakness got alot
worse.  He also developed a head tilt.  When he walks it looks like he is
dizzy.  He will walk around in circles and run into walls.

We thought that it could be a middle ear infection and put him on
antibiotics.  Also predisone in case it is insulinoma.  He is now taking
1/4 tab pred twice a day.  Nothing has helped.  I decided to get a second
opinion.  We took Finney to a "ferret vet" this last Friday.  This new vet
thought that it could be a middle ear infection and Insulinoma.  He wants
to go in and do another exploratory to look at the pancreas.  He also wants
to do an xray of Finneys ears to see if there is infection in the middle
ear.  Finney also has alot of upper respiratory problems going on too.
(sneezing and runny nose) If there is infection in the ear he wants to do
surgery to drain it.  That sounds fine to me except.............This vet
has not done ear surgery on a ferret before.  That scares me!!  Is there
anyone out there that has had this problem and this type of surgery done
on their ferret?

Also it concerns me that he wants to do another exploratory surgery when
Finney just had one done in August and nothing was found on the pancreas.
Could I get your thoughts and comments on this?

You can email me at [log in to unmask]

Thanks.

Blessed Be.

Py