From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 08:20:17 EST
I have adopted from two shelters and the Chester County SPCA in PA.  Both
of my visits to shelters included several of my fuzzies accompanying me
to help select their new cagemate.  As much as I might be looking for
something particular, it is best to allow the current fuzzs to have a say
in the matter.  After all, they will be the ones sharing the bed, bathroom,
dining area, etc.  with this new housemate, I just clean up after them!

When we visited the shelters, we interacted with most of the available
adoptees that fit into what we were looking for (i.e, single or pair, age,
etc.).  And sometimes this does not mean the ferrets get their way, if you
read my other post of today regarding my loner ferret.  That is a prime
example.  Snowflake could not interact with my boys who came along, but the
bond between fuzz and my daughter was instant and there was no doubt that
she was the right ferret for my daughter to love.

I may have in mind what markings I would like the next member of the family
to have, but personality and temperment far outweighs a specific marking!
I would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to walk into a shelter
looking for a ferret with x coloring and leave empty handed just because
one of those poor souls did not match the exact requirements.  Then again,
I openly admit I am a sucker and I would have trouble turning away from a
fuzz that needed a home!

Anyone considering adopting from a shelter (any animal, not just fuzzies),
go in open minded and the right animal will let you know who they are!
This has always been my philosophy and we have adopted wonderful pets from
shelters (ferrets, cats and dogs).

Jen and Gang