From:
"Pat L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:12:45 -0400
First, I want to offer my condolences for the loss of Ping. I haven't
read the FML in a couple of days and was shocked to learn of his
passing. Hopefully they hid all the chickens at the Bridge or
barricaded them in an underground bunker for safekeeping. :)

I want to share an OT story about our dog Jazz and our cat Sea Biscuit.
Jazz was about 4 years old when Sea Biscuit was born. Almost from the
time that Sea Biscuit could crawl around, Jazz was there, keeping an
eye on him. Once Sea Biscuit got old enough to run around (approx 8
weeks of age), he attached himself to Jazz. She became his Dog Mommy.
Jazz would wash the kitten just like she would a puppy. She watched out
for him, slept with him, played with him. You name it, Jazz and Sea
Biscuit did it..together. They were literally inseparable.Fast forward
about 6 years. While in the bedroom, my husband and I heard a horrible
noise in the living room. It sounded like a huge cat fight. We
immediately ran to the living room to find Sea Biscuit howling, blood
going everywhere. Jazz had bitten her buddy, her baby. We managed to
catch him and start trying to figure out where he was hurt. There was
blood pouring from his mouth and nose. We bundled him in a towel and
rushed him to our vet. Luckily, he wasn't mortally wounded but he had
been hurt pretty bad. To this day, he carries a hole in the roof of his
mouth where Jazz's teeth punctured it. Why did Jazz attack the cat that
she had adopted? We will never know. It was many months before Sea
Biscuit would go any where near her. Eventually, Sea Biscuit went back
to sleeping with Jazz even though I tried to keep him away from her. We
started using a muzzle on Jazz when we were not at home, when we went
to bed at night or when we would be in another room of the house. We
never had another incident with Jazz being aggressive towards another
pet including Sea Biscuit. We lost Jazz last Easter at the age of 14.
Sea Biscuit spent several days afterwards wandering around the house,
crying, looking for his Jazz. Nowadays he spends most of his time
with us. As I type this, he is laying under my desk, head on my foot,
sleeping. Sometimes dogs attack even their closest buddies for no good
reason. Sad but true.:(

Pat
Mom to ferrets Bandit & Pacardi
Radar the Rabbil