From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:28:39 -0500
>PUT it in the litter box, and then, do NOT look directly at it!  Ferrets
>like their privacy!

Depends on habits of the household; blanket statements just don't cut the
mustard in relation to ferrets.  We have ones we have to check, and the
rest get jealous and bring us over to look at their output, too!  Also,
we've found that some litter train more easily with observation and
profuse praise for a job done right.

>Well Francine, you might compare a few brands such as Marshalls, or 8
>in 1.Check out the nutrition information on the back panel, see which
>has more calories per serving and choose accordingly.

LOL!  There is always the trick of putting treats on high places so that
you have to stand up or climb to get them.  Another thing that has worked
around here has been a game sort of like keep-away that involves
interfering with proper stashing.  Does she think that underwear belong
in a bedroom drawer, or frying pans in a cabinet, bandages in the medicine
cabinet?  Quick, someone!  Get in her way!  (Heck, I'd be happy to lose
20 pounds of adipose tissue in the next year, but even happier to gain
another 20# of muscle.  The older I get, and the more asthmatic, the
harder each is but I love serious weight lifting as a hobby.  Life has
it's normal frustrations...)

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1913000/1913455.stm

Thanks so very much for posting that, Melissa!  We're giving our vets a
copy to post in the waiting room.  It is marvelous.

Wish I could remember the actual quote and who said, but one thing to
always remember in relation to oh-so-MANY things since the thought is
right, at least, is that ***claims require proof*** and
******extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof******.  Grains of
salt can be useful things in life, when reading.  listening, whatever.
20 years with ferrets in the family, over 14 years on this list and its
predecessors sometimes make me think that we each need a salt shaker next
to our monitors.  LOL!

>No one's perfect, take a long hard look at YOURSELF.

And a child shall lead them... There are rough edges in the statements
made -- after all, a 13 year old writing in a second language, but I have
to agree with some of the gist, and I have to say that i was left with
more than a few doubts about the original post that sure do remain, and
will continue to remain without strong proofs of such extraordinary
claims (esp. ones made in conjunction with insults -- as if forestall
questioning through intimidation -- which seems to have backfired
royally).  Besides, after at least a dozen years of following up on
lifespan claims and even being scammed by such a claim once (Bye, bye
$400...)  I have learned that over 95% of them haven't panned out so
have become jaded about wanting proof in things like written vet records
before I believe.

>I do not know, is there also a dark/brown fluid coming out of it?
>Jasmijn's problem is the following: with her sterilization, the vet
>probably forgot a small peace of her ovarium.  The next time she has
>a swollen vulva, she has to be under surgery.

While such problems can be from an infected uterine stump, they can
alternatively be caused by an adrenal neoplasia.

A few quick note about biting: pain of any sort can be a cause, esp.
dental pain in kits.  These products really help kits do their teething
chewing in other ways: Cheweasels, Foamy Fries, and Marshall Chews (which
are the same as Cheweasels excepts for shape since it's a licencing
agreement).  The only problem is runs if they eat too much at once.