From:
Dianna Desrochers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:12:13 -0500
This is in response to Shelley and camping with ferrets.

I used to go camping with mine all the time in the summer.  I would take
a tent, as my brother-in-law didn't like them in the pop up camper if he
went.  I bought one of those large cat playpen type cages that folds up
for storage very easy to transport and set up and takes up very little
space.  There is plenty of room in it for a multiple of ferrets, I had
4 in there, and there is plenty of room for 5.  Now, if you have a small
ferret, like I do, you might want to cover the sides and top with
screening you can buy on the roll at any hardware store or Home Depot
to prevent him/her from getting out.  I attached a piece to each of
the sides and the top so that I could still fold up the cage for easy
transport.  If you need to use it for the actual trip..  it should fit
well in the back of you jeep, or you might consider keeping them in a
travel kennel for the drive to the camp ground.

Also..  be sure to take along a few gallons of your own water that they
are used to otherwise they may not drink the water where ever you go
camping, yes other water tastes different and the first time I took mine,
I didn't and ended up having to buy bottled water, LOL.  They just would
not drink the water at the camp grounds ..  although I couldn't blame
them ..  I wouldn't either, LOL.

Another thing to remember, is plan for emergencies..  take a first aid
kit with you for them and check to be sure there is a vet in the area
that will see ferrets.  You also want to bring a copy (don't take your
originals as they may get lost or ruined) of all shot and medical
records.  Also be sure that where ever you are going camping ... allows
ferrets, some don't.

Last, but not least ... and I am sure I don't have to say this really ..
watch out for other campers animals, never leave them unattended, even if
they are in a cage in your tent.  Many other campers will let their dogs
run loose and it wouldn't take them long to get inside the tent and at
your babies.

HAPPY CAMPING!
Dianna
(FerretMom)
I LOVE my Ferrets
Mickey, Mouse and Munch
And my Rainbow Babies, Always in my Heart ... Mookie and Joey