Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:44:25 -0500
Hi Bridget,
I'm sure you'll get tons of advise, but here's my two cents.  First, I
congratulate you on being smart enough to check into, and do research on,
ferrets care before getting one.  But, having had ferrets for only two
years myself, and I did tons of research before getting my first, I can
tell you that nothing will prepare you for the amount of shear work that
ferrets are.  There are poopies to clean, nails to clip, ears to clean,
cages to maintain, vets to go to etc etc etc.  Plus the financial
responsibilities when they get older, as most of them seem to get very
sick as they age.  You have a job, this is good.  I suggest starting a
"ferret fund" to offset any vet bills for surgery or shots, just as soon
as you can.  Even if you can only put a small amount every month, do it
faithfully.  Don't get me wrong, ferrets are well worth every single
penny spent, just be sure you know what you're getting into.

As for "out time".  Do you have a secure place for them to play,
unsupervised?  I let my guys out when I get up in the morning and they
play all day, in their room.  We play together in the morning and in the
evening.  They have tons of tubes to run and places to play in their
room.  So, if you have a good environment then I say let them entertain
themselves and play with them when you get home from work.  (when I
worked I took them into the bathroom with me so we had a half hour in the
morning to play).

We have a small beagle/corgi type dog here.  Yes, she thinks ferrets are
food, that's why they have their own room as apposed to being free roam.
Do you have a place at your dads that they can hang out in?  (your
bedroom maybe?) That can be ferrets proofed?  If not, please talk to
your mom and be sure that she is comfortable with them before leaving
them.  (not every one is a "ferret person").

Also, please be sure your mom is willing to welcome these wonderful
creatures into your home.

Ok, I hope this helped and didn't come off as a tirade or speech.  Best
of luck with your new babies.

Shelley