From:
Holly DiMeglio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:21:33 -0900
>It makes me want to have each and every one of these little one ex rayed
>and ultra sounded before you even get attached to them to make sure
>there is nothing wrong with them.  (What a thought).

Oh yeah, what a thought!  Having just taken in 2 new cats in the past
month, I can appreciate the thought - but the reality of it all is that
yes, an animal, however healthy or ill, still deserves our love just the
same.  In fact, the ill one in all likelihood needs our love even more.

The first cat I got, I paid $50 for.  He only has one eye.  They did an
absolutely wonderful job with the surgery & he looks pretty darn good.  I
discovered after he was in my house that his teeth were an absolute mess!
Terrible, terrible breath!  I took him to my vet.  He also had a raging
ear infection (not mites, nothing visible to me).  He went on antibiotics &
ear drops.  Oh yeah, he also had some pretty nasty diarrhea - that happened
on the carpet, on the bed, on the sofa (and on a down comforter!).  In the
first couple of days I spent a couple of hundred dollars on him in one way
or another.  The rescue I got him from told me I could give him back & I
would be re-imbursed for my expenses.  They did however pay for his dental
surgery & another round of antibiotics.  I was told his dental situation
may end up costing me huge money in the future, with several
exams/cleanings needed.  I thought about it - but there was no way in the
world I could take him back to the rescue and be okay with my decision.
He needs a loving home too, and I am capable of giving it to him.

The second cat I got, cost me nothing, came with accessories, is up do
date on all shots etc.  Healthy as a horse, playful as can be, likes the
ferrets, just an overall great cat.

In my heart if I could only keep one of these cats, which would I choose?
Believe it or not, I would keep the first cat - my one-eyed Jake.  Finding
someone who would take care of him the way I will wouldn't be an easy
task.  The second cat could easily find an appropriate home because he
will be lower maintenance.  Thank god I don't have to make such a
decision, and they will both be with me until their time has come to an
end.  But I'll tell you that I've put some heavy thought into being a
forever home for these critters, as well as any other critters that will
come my way.  It's been a very rough place to be and I can appreciate the
comment and where it's coming from.  We all want to avoid pain.  It's
just a thought and I'm sure not intended to be a belief.

Holly