From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:07:00 -0600
When we were trying to get ferret friendly legislation through in 1994,
I took Deno, our big DEW to the committee meeting.  I brought him in a
carrier but also his leash so we could walk around the capital building.
I didn't pass Deno around the Senator's table not knowing what the
response would be if I did, but we did sit in the front row and I had him
on my lap so they were able to see our interaction.  After the meeting one
of the Senators told me she thought I was going to pass Deno around and
she had a very disappointed look on her face.  That was the response of
one Senator and a couple others wrote to me afterwards that they enjoyed
having Deno at the meeting.

The most important aspect of having Deno with me was the interaction
between him and me.  When I had him in my lap, all he wanted to do was
reach up and give me kisses.  No one was put on the spot to handle him
or even show their like or dislike for ferrets.

Afterwards I did walk Deno around and several people came up to us to
cuddle or pet him and others stood by watching, most with smiles on their
faces.  Deno was truly our Ambassador ferret.  When he died in Dec 1995, I
sent a notice to all the members on the committee that heard our bill so
they would know that Deno was a treasured member of our family.

hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity