From:
Marion Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:22:32 -0400
I tried to reply to your post, but it bounced back ...

Hello GB, I am not sure that it has anything to do with the fact that it is
a Canadian ferret.  I am Canadian (no I am not going to flame you, don't
worry, you can keep reading!!), and I also run a shelter.  I have had 6 of
my own (2 passed away quite recently) and the other 4 are still with me.
I also have two shelter ferrets in my home.  The first two that I rescued
were good little girls - Thelma and Louise - and I had no problems with
them.  (it is these two that have passed away, Thelma in October last year,
and Louise this past March).  While I still had the two girls, I rescued
two others - Bartles and Jaymes.  Two very mellow boy fuzzies.  They came
to me in very poor physical condition, and I was their 6th - and final -
home.  They had obviously been very loved in their first home as they are
very good fuzzies, no biting at all (well, little play nips, but I don't
count those cause they don't hurt!!!).  Then my next acquisition was Indy
500 - nicknamed very appropriately because this little creature is FAST!!!
Indy came from a pet store, he was six months old and had been very badly
abused and neglected.  I witnessed him being slammed into the glass wall,
and walked out with him that same visit.  Indy bit and bit hard, he also
drew blood, and didn't let go either.  A couple of months later I also
discovered he was deaf to low tones.  (If you use a squeaky toy or yell
loud he hears, but if you talk to him in a normal tone, he doesn't hear
you - selective hearing - I have my doubts!!!).  It took me 3 months of
patience, time and tons of TLC to win over Indy's trust.  Also, this was my
first encounter with a biter.  I sought out some help and received a number
of great tips First step.  I did wear thin leather gloves for about 2 weeks
with Indy.  He still bit, but what I was hoping to teach him was that no
matter how hard or how many times he bit me, I WAS NOT going to hit him
back.  Thus, he had no reason to "fear" my hands.  (It still hurts when
they bite through leather!!) I find this step to be very important, it
sounds wierd but the ferret has to know that no matter now unwanted the
behaviour is, it will NOT get hit.  Next step, put some ferretone on your
hands and let him lick.  If he bites say NO in a really loud voice, and
slowly take your hands away.  Try it again a bit later.  This will teach
the fuzzy that hands are good.  It took me a couple of weeks to have him
comfortable with my hands being around his body and his "space" without
freaking out.  Next step.  Pick him up for about 10-15 seconds and then
put him back down.  Do this a couple of times during his play time, for a
couple of days.  Slowly, make the times that he is in your arms longer.
Give him ferretone while in your arms (from your hands).  Speak quietly,
and don't move fast.  Any fast movements and he will be ready to defend
himself and will bite.  Next step.  try picking him up with no ferretone
on your hands.  See what happens.  If he still persists in biting (after
a couple of attempts) spray bitter apple on your hands.  It is important
to note that bitter apple is only effective when wet - when your hands are
dry, the spray is useless!!!  If fuzzy is still biting with the bitter
apple on your hands - you have three methods: 1 - you can yell really loud
and startle him 2 - you can squirt him in the body or in the back of the
neck with a squirt bottle 3 - you can scruff him, bring him up to your face
(not too close) and say NO in a really firm voice.  I have employed all of
these methods at different times (judgement call) and it took awhile, but
it worked.  After about 6 months I finally had a ferret that I could hold
and play with.  Indy is still super hyper (the wired weasel he is!!!) and
full of "piss and vinegar" (excuse the expression, but I am sure you now
know exactly what I mean!!).  He still has the odd time that he will bite
too hard, but he NEVER draws blood anymore and he always lets go - more of
a bite and run.... Keep in mind also that this little fuzzy you just got
has gone through hell.  I rescued two other fuzzies (also named Thelma and
Louise) in February of this year.  Both girls were 9 months old, severley
neglected and extremely malicious in their bitting.  After four months, I
got them to quit drawing blood on me and I can now play with them.
However, they still bite.  Last Saturday I fostered them out with a woman
who was interested in adopting them.  I just spoke to her earlier this
evening and she has decided that she cannot handle them.  They both bit her
very badly.  On one hand I was not surprised, given their history, however,
when she told me they bit and wouldn't let go, I was quite surprised
because I had thought that I had them both past that stage.  The only
solution that I can come up with is that they bonded with me (after 5
months) and don't trust other people.  They will be coming back to stay
with me tomorrow, and unless I can place them with someone who has more
patience and understanding (this woman admitted to me that she didn't have
the patience for these particular two fuzzies), then they will become "my"
fuzzies.  Not something I "want" to do - I am supposed to be rehabilitating
and adopting out, not keeping them all - LOL!  However, I believe that
these two girls may be special circumstance fuzzies.  There is my two cents
of advice.  I hope I was able to provide you with some good info.  The
other important issue to keep in mind is patience.  It took me a long time
to build the bond and trust that I have with the three "biters".  They are
not "perfect" ferrets, however, given their past histories, they have all
come a long way.  Your fuzzy may never be the "social ferret", but if you
can get him to bond with you and your husband and trust each other, then
you will have a great little fuzzy on your hands.  Good luck, and if you
have more questions, please do not hesitate to email me back.  All the
best,

Marion