From:
Debra Rodvelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:36:32 -0600
I recently went through this with my herd of eight.  When my fiance moved
in, we did a lot of changes...refinishing floors, painting every room,
changing out furniture.  I had always ferret-proofed the entire house and
let my critters run around "free range." They do have a large bedroom of
their own that I can block off with a plexiglass barrier and a five-story
cage for times they can't be out (cable guy doing work, coming in and out
of the doors constantly, etc.).

During the painting, refinishing stages, they had to stay in a new office
we had just built in the old garage so they weren't affected by the
fumes.  Now they are back in their bedroom which they "share" with their
two new siblings...very large puppies.  The arrangement we've worked out
is that all critters stay in the room while we are at work.  The dogs
are in the room with the ferrets sleeping the day away in their cage.  In
the morning and evening when the dogs are out to socialize with us, the
ferrets have the entire room to themselves.  There are tubes, a rice box
and plenty of other toys for them to busy themselves with.  I go in for
playtime with them for about 30 minutes before work and an hour and a
half to two hours each night.  They are my babies and I make sure to
devote individual attention to each of them.  The rest of the play time
they spend entertaining each other.  Also, while the dogs are outside,
we will let them all out to play around the rest of the house for about
an hour.  This is now a huge treat for them.  I have never seen them so
excited.  Before, they would walk around and find a place for a nap.  The
house didn't seem to stimulate them anymore.  Now they hop and explore
and run themselves completely out of energy.

I think the transition went well for two reasons: a lot of stimulation
when they are out to play and a lot of individual attention so they still
knew they are greatly loved.

Good luck with your new addition and making him feel at home.

Debi Rodvelt