Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:12:20 -0800
People on here seem to keep focusing on Marshall Farms (probably because
they are so well-known) but I want to remind everyone that there are other
farms out there that are doing the same thing or worse.  Names that come
to mind are Triple F and Path Valley.  Let's not just focus on one ferret
mill - they are all guilty of some pretty nasty things.

As far as the early neutering causing adrenal cancer, no, this has not
been scientifically confirmed BUT look how long it took for any type of
resolution on cigarettes causing cancer.  Finally, the tobacco companies
lost some money.  It may just end up being the same type of situation with
the above except that there isn't enough publicity for anyone to really
delve that deeply into the situation.  I DO believe that the ferret mills
produce ferrets that do not have as likely a chance at good health
throughout their natural lives, and this could be due to the early
surgeries or it could be due to their breeding practices (both are
questionable).  I DO NOT feel that any of these ferrets are inferior to a
ferret from a private breeder in appearance or temperament, so please do
not jump all over me in defense.  I lost my seven year old MF boy in
November to insulinoma, and he had never had health problems prior to the
last year of his life.  Would he have lived longer had he not been altered
early or bred at a mill?  Nobody will ever know but I can tell you that
because I dislike the early alterations being performed by what I know to
be "non-vets", I now only get my ferrets from REPUTABLE breeders.  However,
I take in rescues and have even fostered ferrets from Petco (Triple F
origin) until they were old enough to go back into the stores for PROPER
care.  I have seen some things that I do not like including the crate that
these ferrets were shipped in.  One of the ferrets came in with severe
health problems.  I called and spoke to the owners of the mill and
questioned them about several things.  It appeared to me that they are
inexperienced with ferrets.

Keep in mind that not all of these mills started out big.  The reason they
were able to get where they are today is that their prices are lower than
reputable breeders so the pet stores can order more in.  Reputable breeders
also want to interview potential owners and they generally do not breed
more than they can handle at one time.  So you see, supply and demand have
played a key role.  The more pet stores order, the more these mills will
"crank" out.  WE, as ferret people, have helped create this situation.  I
contributed to it seven years ago but now I know more about these animals
and would never adopt from a store.  If I was looking to adopt a mill
ferret, I would go and find one at a shelter that has been abandoned by
some naive, ignorant soul that did not take the time to research ferrets
prior to adoption.

Again, I am not bashing the mill ferrets, just the practices that these
mills use.  I have had and met some very sweet, cuddly and beautiful mill
ferrets.  I just question any animal mill that does things that are not
necessary and possibly damaging to the health of ANY animal, particularly
when it is an assembly line of those who are not veterinarians, performing
the operations.  I feel this way about ANY animal mill - not just ferrets.

BTW - I wrote to MF asking to come and take a peek at their operation but
they are just "too concerned" about germs so they turned me away.  Gee, I
would have worn a hazmat outfit if that would have made this possible.
Again, just an excuse to keep their "dirty little secrets" hidden from
everyone except inspectors.

Just my .02 cents.