From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:22:18 -0600
URINE TEST STRIPS:

I test a sick ferret's urine every day (at about the same time each day),
recording the results immediately afterwards.  First, I wake them up from
a sleep and feed them some watered down baby food.  Then I pet and groom
them until they seem a bit restless, and then I place them in a large
clean glass casserole dish ($2 at a thrift shop!) until they piddle, and
the urine is contained there for testing.  If time is too precious for
you to stand by, just use a CLEAN plastic litter box or casserole dish
(NO LITTER!), place one end on a short block to keep it tilted enough to
drain the urine to one end, and check back periodically.  Try to test the
urine as soon as possible after voiding to insure accuracy of results.
Also, it is important to make sure the container used to collect the
urine is extremely clean and dry so various values (including specific
gravity) are not impacted.

I use urine test strips (available at better drug stores) that can test
pH, specific gravity (to see if the ferret is getting enough fluids),
presence of blood or white blood cells in the urine, glucose and
protein levels, ketones, nitrites, and basic levels of bilirubin and
urobilinogen.  I have sidetracked several urinary tract infections by
noting a positive result for white cells and nitrites, and stopped
dehydration in its tracks by noting a rise in the specific gravity.  Your
vet will be more than interested in the protein and ketone levels.  Most
will poop at the same time, so just tilt the dish and the urine should
remain uncontaminated (I place a pencil under one end of the dish before
putting the ferret to work).  Just dip the strip in the urine, time it
for the proper developing period, and compare the results to the chart
on the box.  Make sure to clean the dish, rinse it well, and DRY IT
before using it again.  RECORD these values for the use of your vet!

BLOOD STOOL TESTING CARDS:

While you are at the pharmacy, ask about blood stool testing cards, often
called stool guaiac or occult blood cards.  They are not easily found,
but can be special ordered or purchased on the internet.  In a pinch, ask
your vet for a prescription for the type they use, or ask them to just
order some for you (it would be nice to be able to use the same testing
product as your vet, making direct comparison an easy matter).  Blood
stool testing cards are extremely useful in detecting hidden (occult)
blood in stool.  You just smear some poop on the card, add a drop or
two of developer, and look for a specific color change.

Be careful of what you buy; many of the higher-end cards ONLY detect
human blood and would be no help at all detecting ferret blood in ferret
poop.  Also, if you are feeding your ferret a BARF diet, the blood in
red meat might throw off the test, but I have never had a problem when
feeding chicken.  Some iron vitamins might skew the test, but all you
have to do is place a couple of drops of vitamin on a card and test it;
if it is negative, it is probably not a problem.  This is absolutely the
best way to monitor a ferret for GI bleeding, and you can catch it long
before you can actually SEE blood in the stool.  It is also a way to gain
piece of mind if you are not sure your ferret's poop is tarry from
digested old blood, or stained from some food dye; tarry stool will
always test a strong positive.  If I suspect gastrointestinal bleeding, I
do a test each day; if not, then once or twice a week is ok for sick or
stressed ferrets.  Don't forget to record your findings on the clipboard.

Bob C