From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:16:28 -0500
First of all I should like to send my condolences to everyone who has lost
one of their beloved fuzzy kids.  My heart breaks each time I read about
one's passing.  On the subject of Kevin's posts-they are the first thing I
look for everyday, especially the titles.  That way I know to either brace
myself for a tragedy, or be ready to rejoice in happiness that the strange
deaths have stopped.  So far I haven't seen anything, and I'm hoping all
our prayers and thoughts have helped him, and the rest of the Kritter Krew
is doing well.

Over the holiday season I normally stay away from the mall and all places
where people shop.  Yep, I'm one of those disgusting creatures that gets
done early.  Right after Thanksgiving this year I went by the pet store in
the mall and there was a whole batch of new kits.  I stood there like a
mother hen while people oohed and aaahed over them.  I fought the good
fight, resisted buying one.  Whole month of December stayed out of the
mall, much to my family's relief.  Two days after Christmas needed my
glasses adjusted, had to go out there, so naturally went by the pet store.
They still have a few babies, but again, resisted temptation.

Yesterday morning, in the 'absolutely free column' of our paper, there was
a free ferret-3 to 4 years old, playful, loves children.  Well, told Larry,
he said call, I was on the phone at 7:20am.  (gotta do this quick around
here).  So the lady tells me all about her little boy-the son had him,
works now, no time, grandson wants fish.  I asked where she got him-out at
the mall a couple years ago (my mind is thinking-ad says 3 to 4 years old,
oh well).  What does he eat?  Well, she gets this stuff at a feed store,
not the cheap ferret food but the other that costs her $2.39Lb.  Asked if
she'd send what she had with him-oh, I'm out of food, was going to go
tomorrow to get him some.  (blood pressure slowly rising).  She asks if
I'll keep his name, "Nibbles", told her no problem.

So Larry went to get him and I told him take some food and water.  Larry
brought him to work for me to see later in the afternoon.  Long toenails,
smelled really ripe, definitely needed a bath.  She sent along his toys,
which wound up in the trash can.  For toys she had to unopened sacks of
*nesting material* for gerbils and hamsters!!!!  She told Larry this is
what he liked to play with.  Also a cardboard tube, and rubber ball that
the ends could be nipped right off of.

Well, Nibbles is watching me and I've cuddled him a couple times.  He's in
the case, I'm thinking, wow, is he small.  My student worker was there and
she was laughing at me as I got him out again.  I gently rolled him over
and cracked up.  Audrey asked why, I said this poor baby has an identity
crisis.  "He" is a "She"!  In the back she'd pooped and then I really went
ballistic.  Audrey again asked what was wrong and I said this poop is pure
cellophane or something.  It's a wonder she hasn't died of a blockage!

I got her home and saw her original cage.  A one level wire crate, maybe
3 feet long, a foot high, maybe.  One small receiving blanket in it.  So
upstairs we go, ferretone and shampoo in hand.  Nibbles went crazy for the
ferretone, it was on my fingers and I couldn't get her to lower her head
to her tummy for a minute or two.  Once she did I got her nails clipped.
Larry came up as I started to bathe her and I told him look in the crate at
her poop.  (That's one thing with fuzzies, you become a poopologist!) He
said some unprintable words, let me tell you.  Well, she got bathed,
rinsed, dried, and put into our two story cage with loads of blankies and
sleep sacks.  The poop she had was either a busted balloon, or er, well,
er, um, something used for safe sex.  I gave her a good bait of hairball
medicine.

Then off to the feed store for some of that food to mix with my group's so
I can wean her over eventually.  Fresh water (the water container from this
house is caked with algae) with aloe juice and papaya enzyme in it.  Big
litter box that she had a blast in.  She curled up immediately and went to
sleep, but this morning she was just chowing down.  In a week or so she
goes to Dr. Kubisz for her shots.  I have to watch her closely to make sure
she doesn't get depressed on me, but she seems in good spirits.  The rest
of the group is again fascinated that another member has joined, but they
can't play with her for a while.  Of course last night I was totally mobbed
by the rest, as though they're reminding me they're still there.  I assured
all of them they were still the lights in my eyes, never fear.

Soon Nibbles will be introduced to the Bob C.'s gravy-my adaptation of it,
and in a few weeks she'll be introduced to the rest of the gang.  So now
the Crew of Merry Mayhem, cats excluded in the count is 12 fuzz butts.  And
I should like to formally introduce you to Nibbles, the newest member of
the gang.  A little dark cinnamon girl who doesn't bite, just 'nibbles'.  I
knew there was a reason I didn't try to buy a baby ferret at Christmas, and
the reason was in my hands last night.

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste
good with ketchup"