From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 10:01:17 -0400
I am not trying to slam Mr. Sellers and the work he does for the AFA.
People like him are working very hard to protect the safety of ferrets all
over the country.  I would like to point out two things however.

Unless things have radically changed over the past year, Mr. Sellers is not
an attorney, and therefore you should not take his writings as legal advice.
Secondly, there is now case law (and I am sorry that I do not have the
actual case, although it was recently discussed on the FML I believe) which
goes against Mr. Sellers ideas of suing the Government when a ferret is
taken from it's owner for rabies testing.  Plaintiffs recently sued a local
government for the value of the animal after their ferret was destroyed for
rabies testing.  The court found (I am paraphrasing here) that the
government had the right to test for rabies without compensation to the
owner.  I have been in touch with the ferret owners of the Michigan ferret
and suggested that they contact Dr. Hoffman to intervene as a physician and
Mr. Bossart for the information that he has on rabies.

-Anne Ryan  (Mrs. Duck)