From:
Deana Beek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:46:13 -0500
>They are having problems with them being agressive probably typical kit
>stuff (but nipping harder), so they are blaming that on the "line" of the
>Angoras.

Yes, "TYPICAL KIT" stuff.  That does NOT constitute the word "AGRESSIVE".
In a discussion with a very wise individual of the ferret world the word
"ASSERTIVE" was suggested as the more appropriate terminology.

The difference between "AGGRESSIVE" and "ASSERTIVE" is that aggressive
means "hostile: combative".  Whereas, assertive refers to the expression
of oneself "boldly or forcefully".  "AGRESSIVE" is very negative.

In my experience, my imports are more "ASSERTIVE" than my american bred
ferrets, but they are NOT "AGGRESSIVE"!  They do not act HOSTILE toward me.
They exhibit normal, typical ferret behaviors.  They are just bolder and
more determined.  Or, maybe they just appear that way because of their size
and energy.  I just look at them as a normal ferret with turbo charge!!  ;-)

And in terms of kits nipping harder....think about it....my imports AS KITS
were larger than my FULL GROWN American bred ferrets so naturally the jaws
are stronger and the nip may be a little harder.  Not an intentional thing
just an act of nature.  But, none the less, just typical ferret behavior.
However, the point is that with the proper training they learn just like any
other ferret what is acceptible and what is not.  And just like American
ferrets...there will be those few that are harder to train.  And, just like
American ferrets...there may be a few that no matter how hard you try they
have a mind of their own.

>Please don't get me wrong - I haven't owned one & do not have experience
>with them - but I have only spoken of things owners of an Angora & dealers
>(a pet store) have told me - all first hand.

Yeh, and didn't you say that you didn't see or know how she handled the
ferret???  (or am I confused?) Maybe the methods that this person was using
to try to train this ferret was not effective.  You can't expect one method
to be effective with every animal you try to train.  I am not saying this
person was not experienced, I am just saying there could be alot of factors
at play here so I am not even going to get into it, but even if the ferret
would not stop nipping/biting it is important to note that there are
American ferrets like this too so this behavior should not be labeled or
blamed on the term "ANGORA" or "IMPORTED".  Period.  A FERRET IS A FERRET!
No matter where you go there will always be those ferrets that are more
"ASSERTIVE" than others...American bred, European bred, Any kind.  Yes,
even MF can produce a few!  So, that is why I get so angry.  Because it is
so important to note that point.

Despite the fact that you may have heard these stories "first handedly"
from people that had an experience with them, they are still a "he said,
she said" accounts...and I have NOT seen anyone that CURRENTLY OWNS such
ferrets on this forum outwardly state that their ferrets are "AGGRESSIVE".
Keep in mind that your "first hand" information comes from someone that got
rid of the angora and pet stores are not good sources because they do NOT
live with and interact with these ferrets.  There is a difference between
"AN experience with something" and "ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING" something.

I am not claiming to be some kind of Angora Ferret expert or anything and
my experiences with imports may differ from others, but I was just pointing
out that alot of these posts are just "he said, she said" accounts.  And as
we all know...if you believe everything you are told by someone else who
had "an experience" then chances are you might miss out on something very
great.  Think about all the people out there that say "Oh, I heard ferrets
are mean...they bite...they stink...and so on"!  Everyone seems to have
"known someone that had AN experience" or had "AN experience" theirself.
But, If I believed all that great "First Hand" he-said, she-said
information then I would never have been owned by a ferret.

>Right now, I believe most people that have imports do know more than the
>average bear about ferrets.  But seeing as a pet store sold them in my
>area, the average bear is buying these little kits that are "different"
>than the average American ferret.  They are having problems with them being
>agressive - probably typical kit stuff (but nipping harder), so they are
>blaming that on the "line" of the Angoras.

I know why the general public labels it as it does, but why do "EDUCATED"
Ferret owners contribute to this false "label"???  Ok, imagine if an
elected official or someone less educated were lurking in the wings (or
even the F&G) you never know who is lurking...what kind of impression does
that leave???  Here are "EDUCATED" ferret owners using terms such as
"AGGRESSIVE".  What kind of impact could that have on legislative efforts??

I hope that you do not feel that this is a personal attack on you or your
post.  My first post was mean as a generalized sort of statement in regards
to present and past posts on angoras.  I am not saying anyone is a liar or
their information is not true...I was only trying to point out to those
that are curious or interested in angoras to inquire further, to sources
that actually have "angoras or imports", before assuming from all the great
"first hand" he-said, she-said accounts that angoras or imports are
"AGGRESSIVE" monsters.

Best Regards,
Deana  ([log in to unmask])