From:
JOHN RICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 02:16:12 -0500
Just because studies exist, does not mean that you should `go with the
studie`s results`.  I have had 3 adrenal ferts, and besides the cost to
those of us on fixed incomes, my local vets, whom I have grown to trust,
seem to have altered their thinking about surgery.

'Wolfy' has hit on a good subject for discussion....and it`s apparent!!
"Invasive surgery" is traumatizing!!  Like it or not, surgery can
sometimes be the main worry about that trauma!  The bodies of both
humans & animals, are GREATLY "shocked" by any surgery....having had a
quad-bypass & 2 back ops., I know!  My local 'ferret-smart' vets, have
suggested the 'meds' treatment, over surgery, not something you would
expect to hear from for-profit Doctors!

I have to beat the drum about these vets just a bit more.....BOTH of
them, are University of Pennsylvania educated, which is one of, if not
the, best animal-teaching hospital on the east coast!  They are both
'VMD's', not DVM`s.  That`s just because UofP issues the graduates this
title, the only school that uses these initials.(I think).

But, I think that, as others have said, it depends on the patient`s
age, health, etc..  The 'mostly' simple advantages of surgery, are
overshadowed by the fact that it does not guarantee that it will be
successful, that the fert may die 1-2yrs.  later, maybe the same as
w/meds., or on the operating table.  As I have read here, comparing the
two options,(surgery/meds.), many have the same 'lifespan' expectancy for
both!

I believe, that as Sukie, Wolfy, and others have stated, that many other
factors, such as darkness cycles, possible Lupron shots once or twice a
year, and others, affect the adrenal situation.  As anyone here, that
has had major surgery can attest to, It`s TOUGH!!!!.....recuperating!
Bouncing back is slow, tedious, and a long road of recovery, dotted by
periods of mood differences, doubt, and sometimes, regret.  I, as you
should too, have great faith in my ferret vets....after all, trial &
error usually enter into this feeling of 'TRUST"!!  The Veterinary
Hospital of the University of Penn., their 24/7 emergency room, and the
quality of those Dr`s. who exit their program, has given me this feeling
of trust!!  Just as your own M.D. SHOULD do for you!!!

This is just my own opinion, formed thru 13yrs. of 'trial & error" with
these unique creatures!!  I am not a vet,....but sometimes, instead of
relying on all those studies, everyone`s qualified input & experiences,
should be noted!!  ('qualified' is referring to 'hands-on' pet owner`s
'experiences!!)  I hope we get many "real" opinions & experiences on
this topic.  ONLY IN THE USA!!!!!

john rich & the n.j. gang. (one bald!9w/meds!)...