From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:27:42 +0000
Hi.  My Tarzee's biopsies came back low grade lympho, with a note from the
pathologist that it will respond slowly to chemo.  The shriveled up
pancreatic tissue is scared and hyperplastic, and also containing pinprick
islet cell tumors... insulinomas.  All this at three years of age... DARN
these cancers!  Why?!!

If I haven't written, and so many have sent wonderful messages for Tarzee,
pre- and post-surgery, it is because I am numb.  It would hurt a lot to
write many messages bearing bad news... But, at least for now, let me say
thank you here.  Your messages have meant alot, every single one... except
one, a flame - yes flame!  Can you imagine flaming someone over an inquiry
about a sick beloved fuzzy?  To my polite response and thank you to a
suggestion of coccidia, *you*, if you're still on the FML, wrote:
"Coccidiossis is NOT that easy to spot, your ferret has the identical
symptoms described in the last one, and yourvet is not GOD nor is she
infalible (sic).  But hey, you don't want your ferret to get better its
none of MY buissiness (sic)!!" .  Guess Albon wouldn't have worked after
all, now would it?... You're breeding ferrets, so keep reading up on
medical issues until you discover that anorexia, weight loss, vomiting,
and diarrhea are symtoms of many illnesses, not just coccidia (which we'd
thoroughly tested for many times as I very politely explained, after
thanking you for your message).  Don't you EVER again DARE to accuse me of
not wanting my Tarzee to get better!  EVER!!!!).

Tarzan has lost an ounce since surgery, and he was skinnier than I could
imagine at surgery time.  This evening, six days following surgery, he had
a vomiting fit, the second one today.  It is a grim situation.  My vet is
consulting the pathologist and oncologist and I'll hear more tomorrow about
possible treatment, i.e. chemo for the tumors - some in mesentary nodes on
intestines, though none in/or blocking major organs.  The outer nodes feel
fine, which seems strange.

For now, besides hopes and prayers, if you could send tips on fattening him
up I'd be very grateful.  Heck, any info will be welcomed!  Low grade lympho
responding slowly to chemo?  Vomiting AFTER surgery?  Chemo?  Enzymes to aid
nutrition?  Essiac?

Tarzee is still getting sub-q fluids and force-fed baby food.  He eats
Eukanuba cat food, but I never see him drinking water, which he used to lap
up constantly.  Hopefully today's vomiting was not from scarring at the
site of surgery (a tumor-encrusted mesentary node was removed from the
muscle of the stomach, where it empties into the duodenum, which caused an
obstruction, vomiting, and weight loss) but due to an undisciplined mommy
who gave him raisons and cat treats (he'd been doing so well, and his
begging face was too much).  He also had his tummy opened and sewed shut
during the surgery.  How I hope and pray this is just a passing thing,
rather than a returned obstruction.  He's too weak for more surgery, and
too skinny for vomiting.  He's been weak since surgery, but was a little
more active today.

Only because they lift us so high, do they bring such deep pain, and this is
one wonderful fur kid... but I must set aside my pain for now so I can help
him and do everything for him, so that he won't hurt.

Please help if you can.

Hoping and praying for Tarzee to be saved,

Lynn

P.S  I was having some tears on the way home, thinking of him popping
balloons, thinking of a probability of burying my baby boy at under four
years of age, after (and still) hoping for a long, long lifetime of special
love from this extraordinary fur kid... Coming in the door I immediately
spotted box from Margaret and Scott Lehmann to "Tarzan and Company"!  It was
a "motor mouse", a battery powered mouse in an enclosed circle.  What timing
you two!  What a cheering gesture and gift.  Tarzee, low energy and all, was
amused by it!  And fur mom me was greatly cheered.  Wow...thank you so very
much!!