From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:36:05 -0700
Misty wrote:
>On that note I believe that if captured mink, or any animal for that
>matter, had a choice to be liberated and have a chance or to be
brutally killed, which to you think they would choose. If you were
>to end up in a concentration camp in the middle of the desert and
>you had a chance to be set free would you go? I would!

The problem with this is that many mink do not know what to do, just
like your pet ferrets, when they are released. There are exceptions, as
the Rev. pointed out that the ones escaped were biting people. But of
all the "releases" in Wisconsin, the mink let people pick them up and
bring them back to safety. Many were run over. Many were found dead.

If they don't know what to do, they do suffer. As opposed to being fed
and watered every day, they then starve to death or get run over as I
said. Or can't find water and die. It's sad but if you think about it,
releasing them is not always the best thing, either. Forcing the people
out of business or creating laws that enforce humane treatment and more
than adequate living conditions during their lives in the mink farm
should be considered here, not creating more suffering.

To an animal who has only known live in a mink farm, letting it "free"
can be a quicker death sentence. Imagine if the DMK babies were
"freed". Yes, mink stand a much, much higher chance of surviving than
a ferret, and a chance of actually living well, but it's not always a
given - I just can't understand "rights activists" doing this still.
The ones that make sure the animals can adjust to the outside world
are good in my book - but the rest, I can't stand.