From:
"Alayne M. Whaley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:08:27 -0400
I have a question regarding introduction of ferrets to each other.  I have a 4
 month old male, currently unaltered.  I introduced him to a 1 1/2 year old
spayed female.  At first glance of each other, the female chased the male.
Since then, when they are allowed free reign of the room together, the male
has been chasing her.  The male is more apt to run around, with his back
arched and making that cheerful "laughing" noise than the female.  Yesterday,
when let out together, it seemed the male was going for the kill.  He made a
noise I've never heard him make before and whenever I looked at him, his
mouth was open, as if to show his teeth.  The noise, at first, seemed to me
like short puffs of air leaking from a balloon.  Can't figure out how else
to describe it.  He seemed to be attacking her, and didn't stop the hissing
noise until a few minutes after they were both separated and caged.  She, when
 being "attacked" did squeal a few times.  So far today, when I let them out,
he again chased her, but this time seemed gentler with her.  I guess my
question is this:  I have read that most ferrets, given a period of
adjustment, will get along together, as long as they have been altered.  Is
this just a matter of getting the male altered before they'll get along, or
are they really playing, even though it seems too rough?  And what is that
noise he's making?  Granted, we have only had both of them for less than a
week.  I just want to know if I'm making a mistake with them because he
hasn't yet been altered and should keep them separated until he's altered.
Or would it be okay to just supervise them until then?

Thanks!

--
Alayne M. Whaley            !
[log in to unmask] !      This space intentionally left blank.