From:
"Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:25:02 +0000
>Try making one, they are real easy, you can pcik the size you want, and
>they can be made more durable than some I've seen in stores...

Making hammocks really is easy.  The best place I have found for fabric for
ferret toys is the "fabric remnant" bin at Walmart.  There's always an
interesting variety of fabrics and textures to choose from - and colors also
(for me, aren't ferrets colorblind?).  It's very cheap, also.

To add some comfort for those long northern nights, try adding a layer of
the cotton stuff they use for quilts between the layers.  Just add a few
extra lines of sewing diagonally, and the batting will stay in place.  The
grommet idea is great!  I use really heavy duty elastic, and sew one strand
"horizontally" on each end - and then sew the loose ends of each strand
together with a wire hook for easy hanging.  My ferret cage has three layers
of hammocks (one small canvas flet up high for my little white girl, one big
"Chicago Bears" hammock for my little brown girl, and one big red and black
flannel hammock for my big boy).  While my little business frequently like
to sleep together, sometimes they like to be alone, and I would recommend
multiple hammocks for other multiple ferret households...

Gwen