From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 09:22:07 -0700
>From:    "Craig W. Lovell" <[log in to unmask]>
>Sam... has been having difficulties urinating.  Sometimes, he squeaks or
>groans, which makes me think that it hurts to urinate.  Two X-rays.... show
>a rather enlarged spleen.  My vet is thinking that th is is what is causing
>the problem, as some of the internal organs are pushed ou t of their normal
>positions.  He also appears to be developing adrenaloma; his rear end is
>bald, in this funny-looking square patch.

An enlarged spleen is not that uncommon a condition in ferrets.  Slight
enlargement is usually nothing to worry about.  Greatly enlarged spleens
can cause some crowding of organs.  How many enlarged spleens in ferrets
has your vet seen?  Many vets who don't realize how common this is, will
panic when they see it and feel it must be removed, when that is not the
case at all.  (This is just one more reason it is so important to use a
vet who is very skilled with ferrets and who is familiar with and sees
many in his practice!!)

I suspect the real trouble is the prostate gland!!  Enlarged prostate (which
does cause serious problems) is often a secondary condition in males with
adrenal tumors.  The prostate, however, cannot be removed (so I am told, I'd
love to know if anyone has removed one sucessfully).  Sometimes infections
builds up in the prostate and fluid can be drained off to relieve pressure.
Amoxicillin will have little impact on an infection in the prostate, I've
seen astounding results with Baytrill though!!

>My vet recommended an ultrasound exam, which I'm trying to avoid.  I'd
>prefer that the mone for the ultrasound just go directly to surgery.

Due to Sam's age, and the fact that the adrenal condition has been there a
while (since you say his bottom is bald) I would opt for an ultrasound too,
that is, provided the vet is very skilled at ultrasounding ferrets.  The
ultrasound is a test that is only as good as the person performing the test.
If the tumor is advanced to the point that it is inoperable (especially if
it is on the right) then it would be a sensless surgery, and you would
certainly not want to risk surgery on an older ferret like this.  An
ultrasound will tell you to what extent the tumor has advanced.

Even if the tumor looks operable upon ultrasound, because of Sam's age, I
would put him on Lysodren instead of doing surgery, if it were my ferret.
In some ferrets Lysodren has worked miracles on adrenal tumors, in some
others it has had little effect.  (If you go with Lysodren, have the
pharmacist mix it with Ferretone, Linatone, or Virgin Olive Oil.) A 30 day
treatment of Baytrill should help the prostate condition.  (Ultrasound
testing may be valuable in viewing the prostate too.) Lysodren will have to
be given for the rest of Sam's life.

I have a little gal here, Rikki, who has seen immense relief of her
inoperable adrenal tumor on the Lysodren for almost 2 years now!!  I've seen
another male get great relief of his prostrate trouble on the Baytrill,
he'll soon start on Lysodren if surgery turns out not to be an option for
him (he isn't at my shelter).

Another important note to all: DO NOT IGNORE HAIRLOSS!!!  When the first
signs of adrenal tumors begin to show, take action immediately.  Some tumors
grow quite rapidly!  I have seen tumors go from "invisible" to "inoperable"
in just a few weeks!!  If you have hairloss at the base of the tail, or a
swollen vulva in the females, you've probably got an adrenal tumor.
Occasionally in males, you'll have hairloss across the shoulders first.

There is also a skin condition, (oily deposits, clogged pores) that causes
hairloss on the tail also, but usually it does not start at the base of the
tail.  Often you will be able to see tiny black or orange spots.  Cleaning
the tail with Stridex pads will clear up this condition, usually within a
week, and you can quickly rule in or out, an adrenal tumor.  Occasionally,
antibiotics will also be needed if infection is present on the tail.  But
act quickly regardless of which condition you feel it is, because if it is
an adrenal tumor, you need to know definitely and act appropriately.

If you need more information, email me directly.  Kisses to Sam.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter