From:
TwoSpooky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 01:17:13 -0500
Three of our five fuzzbutts are sick or recovering.  Now, some of this was
planned.  Squeaker had insulinoma surgery and Xena had a malfunctioning
scent gland removed, both on Tuesday.  We expected these and planned for
them.  (Both are doing well now, BTW.)

What we didn't plan on was having Gabrielle fall ill the very next day.  She
is little miss queen bee, and also the one who will inevitably get into the
most trouble of the most creative and surprising kind.  We rushed her in to
the vet, who did *3* GI series X-rays with barium (totalling about $150) on
Wednesday, all of which were inconclusive.  We brought her home.  She would
not eat or drink.  She vomited all over me.  (Lucky me.)  She went back to
the vet.  The vet did surgery -- and lo and behold, there was a "foreign
body of indeterminate origin" in her small intestine.  I think she ate the
insole from one of my tennish shoes!  As of tonight, she is holding her own,
but these surgeries are risky because of the tiny size of the intestine in
these tiny little fuzzies.  And Gab is especially tiny.  So we are all
hoping and thinking healthy thoughts for her.  She is my baby girl, and I
miss her so much.

Our outstanding vet bill is now over $1,000.  My parents think we are
lunatics.  I have never owed a vet this much in my life.  But they are our
babies, and I never once hesitate about the cost of their care.  I'm just
glad we have an understanding vet who lets us make monthly payments.  I have
a feeling we will be carrying an outstanding balance with them for a
looooong time.

A word of warning to leave you all with -- be careful with your shoes!!!

-The Mohr Mustelids <g> and their very stressed out hoomans

"It has been said that man is a rational animal.  All my life I have been
searching for evidence which could support this."
                                   -- Bertrand Russell