Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:56:01 -0700
Hello...after wading thru a few issues I decided to go ahead and post.  I
recently aquired a "stray" ferret.  The grounds crew (hence his name Grounds
Keeper Willy - Simpsons) where I work found a ferret in a dumpster.
Strangely enough they found their way to me to ask if I wanted to take care
of him.  I'd been dying to own a ferret and had just that day talked about
getting one.  I looked the lil guy over and he was thin (skin and boes),
missing a good portion of the hair on his back, and sneezing.  I took him to
the vet that day.  We got him on antiobiotics.  2 weeks later (now) he is in
fine condition...he's gained weight, grown back his hair (well most of it)
and the URI is gone!  :) We go in for vaccines on saturday.  Sad thing is no
one legitimate answered my FOUND ad and no one posted a lost ad for a
ferret.  I suppose he was unwanted tho he's a doll..never bites, and it
litter trained.

What my main interest is diet.  I want to have him on the best diet for
ferrets.  The trouble is the onlye diets I seem to be able to conviently
find around here list fish as the main protein source.  First off I've read
that fish isn't a good source of protein for them that chicken is...is that
true?  And my other concern is that what goes in stinky I assume will come
out stinky... My other concern is the carbohydrates...I understand they
can't process fiber very well..but I don't understand how these diets list
cab sources high on the ingrediant list..can they process it effectively?
What I'd like to know if names of good diets for ferrets...ones that come as
close to being perfect as they get for nutritional value.

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Kat
Kat
http://www.thuntek.net/~artemis