From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:33:53 EST
dec 30ths fml had a letter from a shelter operator.  in this letter she
stated that she witnessed a shelter hosing down the cages to clean them.
well i am the guilty party, i confess.  what was not reported is that there
were scrub brushes, buckets with disenfectant that vet clinics use, towels
etc.  i feel that the letter was malicous in stating the fact that maybe i
was not a good shelter operator.  well just for the record i am a very good
shelter mom.  i feel that the statment was very wrong and not really needed
to be there, this was my first time reading the fml and what a shock to see
that my shelter was being used as a "bad" example?  i also do things with
my shelter ferrets that maybe no other ferret shelter does, does that make
the ther shelters bad, i think not.  when i started my shelter i tried to
contact the other shelter to maybe form a link to better help the ferrets,
i got the cold shoulder, and was later told that she looked upon my shelter
as competition, what??  this is not a contest to see who rescues more
ferrets, i didnt contact her again.  i felt that maybe i was stupid to try
to help the ferret world with attitudes like that.  i didn't quit the
shelter business and now it is growing strong, i do rescues when needed in
nev and cal.  all the ferrets go to the vet and get checked, they are fed a
quality food, get treats, clean water and large cages with all the extras,
they also get plenty of love by myself and family members, and volenteers
and friends.  i don't think that running a shelter by youself is an easy
task, i commend anyone that is the ferret or any animal rescue business.  i
feel that the poster wants us to think that only her shelter is good and
the others lack, sorry don't think so.  i also work 2 jobs, run the
shelter, raise a kid, i am a single mom, should i tell you all my woes,
no..  we all have personal problems, maybe even though our intentions are
good some should leave the shelter business to those with the resourses to
do so.  i dont think i should be judged by anyone for what i do, i can tell
you stories about another shelter and be mean and malicous but i won't, at
40 yrs of age i've outgrown that and have better things to do.  do i sound
bitter, yes, i'm tired of people who think that i don't deserve to be a
shelter, i have the support of ferret owners, vets and the local ferret
club and members.  cant be that bad huh!  well i could go on and on but i
wont.  all i have to say is if people wold try to get together on issues
instead of trying to rip each othr apart things could get done alot better.
i don't expect everyone to like me or what i do but people who live in
glass shelters shouldn't throw stones.

also just to inform the fellow ferret lovers the other shelter is not a
shelter anymore, she turned over 3 ferrets to me awhile back stating she
could no longer do the shelter due to personal problems, the club
newsletter lists her as a shop not shelter, this is what i am very confused
that she is stating herself as a shelter, all her ferrets are personal
pets, the reason im telling this is that be careful where you send
donations etc, check shelters out that you are not being fooled.  again i
apologize for the bitter way i sound but i also work very hard to save
ferret lives and educate the public on ferret ownership, there are no
trophies or best ferret shelter contests and sometimes not alot of praise
and rewards from people in this business.  please lets stick together and
weed out the bad and support the good.  good luck to all including my local
ferret shelter/shop operator, please feel free to drop by and see what i do
before reporting on my goings on.  hugs and kisses to all my fuzzies here
at the shelter and the ones that have crossed over to the rainbow bridge.

for my friends sam and erich who just lost her ferret Sneezers to cancer
this poem is for you

in loving memory
god saw he was getting tired
and a cure was not be,
so he put his arms around him
and whispered "come with me"
with tearful eyes you watched
 as he began to fade away.
although you loved him dearly
you could not make him stay.
a golden heart stopped beating
soft, strong paws to rest.
god broke our hearts to prove to us
he takes only the very best.

best wishes and a happy and healthy new year to all,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue and Shelter