From:
Dawn Gsoell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:54:22 -0600
I asked the question, but perhaps I didn't ask it well.  Does anyone know
if there is any sort of law, or regulation preventing the shipment of kits
across state lines, or to pet shops under a certain age?  Somehow I got the
impression that there was some instrument in place to prevent the shipment
of kits under a certain age to pet shops.  The problem we're having in
Minnesota with Petco, is two-fold.  First we are seeing kits that are 6-8
weeks old in Petco shops, meaning they were weaned and subsequently shipped
there when they were way too young.  Second, frantic calls from new ferret
owners, whose babies were too young, and the shelter overpopulation has
directly corresponded with the Petco chain's increase in numbers, and sales
of ferrets.  We checked with the state official who regulates the pet
stores and were told that as far as she knows there is no regulation
against transporting or selling kits under a certain age.  If you have any
info on any regulations of the sort I am inquiring about please contact me
and let me know how to find a copy.  [log in to unmask]

Thanks again,
Dawn