Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 00:42:51 -0700

Sandi Ackerman wrote:
>Whoa, do I read a hint of egotistical bravado in that sentence?  Even if
>not, I don't believe this is true.  Breeders know all about colors and who
>to breed to whom to attempt to create a lovely color and pattern and the
>"better ferret".  People who are primarily concerned that all ferret needs
>love, attention, good diet and exercise tend to be much more expert in
>behavior, food and play items than breeders....

Whoa yourself now....any breeder who only breeds for color and pattern is
not a ethical breeder from my point of view.  As for the "better ferret",
this includes temperament, health, longevity, and genetics before color and
pattern are considered.  When a ferret is shown, color/pattern are a *very*
small percentage of it's points, as it should be.  Now how are the breeders
breeding good show ferrets if they're only paying attention to
color/pattern?  Even though I am no longer a breeder (or even a shelter at
the moment), I feel that your statement just inferred that breeders are not
concerned with love, attention, good diet and exercise and this blanket
statement is absolutely wrong in regards to many breeders I know.  Have you
ever stayed up all night with a jill who's having a hard time delivering?
Or slept on the couch with a cage full of baby ferts that need to be hand
fed?  It is definitely not all fun and games, it's hard work, dedication
and above all, love for the ferrets that make good breeders (and shelter
operators!) do this.  No amount of monetary compensation will ever make up
for the lost nights of sleep, the tearful days when a ferret passes on.  If
they were in it for the money....they'd have been out of the business long
ago!

So, to answer your question, shelters that breed don't *have* a hat to
switch, it's always the same one....the one that loves the fuzzies.

Tracy, Cooter and Talyn

PS: Bill and Diane can probably speak for themselves, but for myself, when
they said that breeders tend to know more, I think they meant more than the
average ferret owner, which had better be true or a breeder shouldn't be
breeding in the first place. :)