From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:49:12 -0400
>[... Then again, just about every day several people's FMLs bounce due
>to "inappropriate language", but they're usually different people every
>day, so clearly every e-mail administrator has a different idea of what
>constitutes inappropriate language.  I have a few choice words for
>administrators who attempt to impose their own standards of acceptable
>language upon their customers, but if I say them then LOTS of FMLs will
>bounce tonight.  BIG]

YES!  Okay, I know that the FHL is currently down (but is expected to be
up pretty soon -- hopefully Saturday -- when Smartgroups finishes its
major maintenance), but -- anyway -- what my foggy and tired brain is
trying to get around to saying is that we have had FHL members who have
to explain to their service providers that, YES, they do NEED these mails
with such language because the list is a MEDICAL one and ferrets simply
DO have problems which affect genitalia.  In fact, since adrenal
neoplasias are so very common among neutered ferrets (about a third if
memory serves) and also show up in older whole ferrets, and the risks of
prolonged heat among those who aren't (up to half) involve those organs,
and since prolapses so common among young kits and among ferrets with
serious intestinal problems it is pretty well IMPOSSIBLE to discuss
ferret health without mentioning genitalia.

I wonder if other lists which discuss medical problems of other animals,
including humans, have these problems at as high a rate.  For breast
surgeons it must be through the roof.  Can you imagine how hard it must
be for some people to get information on certain malignancies of their
own when they really need the info?  I recall someone who was mentioning
having this problem last year or the year before.  No wonder so much of
that is now done by website for humans!  I really HOPE that it doesn't
get worse or people will need to do more website participation and less
list participation for ferrets, too.

I remember that I used to use multiple exclamation points till you had an
FML rejected by a large server because they thought that meant it must be
you know what...

You know, that gets me thinking.  If a major service provider offered an
"adults only" option which would have to be signed for they could escape
sorting those except for viruses/worms, they would have fewer complaints,
they'd be considered more medically friendly then the competition so
could use that as a big sales point...

Now, I hope that the comments on common illnesses don't get this rejected
by service providers.  It sure would be good if they did start having
options that were more medically friendly and it would be good for their
bottom dollar, too.

Sorry, I got carried away.  You hit very close to home!  :-)

I hope that everyone gets through the hurricane fine.

Sukie (Who is writing while listening to "Masked and Anonymous" a
recommended CD with some new Dylan songs by the gent and a selection
by folks over the globe who perform his songs their own way; it's an
absolute gas!)