From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:13:05 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

Yesterday, someone who truly appreciates the phenomenon that is Kim
Fox  wrote:

>I'd like to help her look as beautiful as possible, for her upcoming
>role as Captain Ahab. I believe I might even have a crochet hook or
>two, if she decides she would rather play Captain Hook, in Peter Pan.
>I was also thinking about the phone book lifts too.......and I think I
>can do better than that!!! We have an unused pogo stick in the garage
>that would enable her not only to level out, but to "bounce" around
>instead of walking!!!!

I'm telling you, that's what I want to live long enough to see....Kim
Fox on the stage as Capitain Ahab while bouncing up and down on a pogo
stick.

Our scene opens with Kim as Ahab, on a pogo stick, in the capitains
quarters, *itching at the First Mate of the ship Pequod, Starbuck. She
is standing on the stick with her foot that is not in the prosthetic
whalebone leg-piece that she must wear for the play, leaning against
the wall and patting a ferret cradled in her arms. She is balancing
against the cabin wall so she does not have to hop.

KIM: "Devils!(gently dropping the ferret to the deck) Dost thou then so
much as dare to critically think of me? - On deck!"

STARBUCK: (Here played by Sukie, who is good at being deep)"Nay, Sir,
not yet; I do entreat. And I do dare, Sir - to be forbearing! Shall we
not understand each other better than hitherto, Captain Ahab?"

KIM: ( Furiously pogoing over to the gun rack) Ahab seized a loaded
musket from the rack (forming part of most South-Sea-men's cabin
furniture), and pointing it towards Starbuck and pogoing madly to keep
her balance, exclaimed:

"There is one (pogo) God that is Lord (pogo) over the earth,(pogo) and
one Captain (pogo) that is lord over (pogo) the Pequod.(pogo) - On
deck!"

STARBUCK: For an instant in the flashing eyes of the mate, and his
fiery cheeks, you would have almost thought that he had really received
the blaze of the levelled tube. But, mastering his emotion, he half
calmly rose,(and shooed the ferret faway from under his boot) and as
he quitted the cabin, paused for an instant and said: (wattles shaking
with suppressed emotion) "Thou hast outraged, not insulted me, Sir;
but for that I ask thee not to beware of Starbuck; thou wouldst but
laugh; but let Ahab beware of Ahab; beware of thyself, old man."

KIM: "He waxes brave, (pogo) but nevertheless obeys; (pogo) most
careful bravery that!" murmured Ahab, (pogoing) as Starbuck
disappeared. "What's that he said (pogo)- Ahab beware of Ahab -(pogo)
there's something there!"

Then unconsciously using the musket for a staff, with an iron brow he
paced (pogoed) to and fro in the little cabin; but presently the thick
plaits of his forehead relaxed, and (pogoing) returning the gun to the
rack, he went (pogoed) to the deck. (Fortunately, the pogoing did not
set off the weapon.)

"Thou art but too good (pogo) a fellow, Starbuck,"(pogo) he said lowly
to the mate; (pogo-pogo) then raising his voice to the crew: "Furl the
t'gallant-sails (pogo) and close-reef the top-sails, (pogo) fore and
aft; (pogo) back the main-yard (pogo) up Burtons, and break out (pogo)
in the main- hold."

It were perhaps vain to surmise exactly why it was, that as respecting
Starbuck, Ahab thus acted. It may have been a flash of honesty in him;
or mere prudential policy which, under the circumstance, imperiously
forbade the slightest symptom of open disaffection, however transient,
in the important chief.

And think- This is only *one* scene in the leviathin of a book that is
Moby Dick. With added time for the lead on a pogo stick, it could last
for hoooours...

Alexandra in Ma