From:
Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:15:25 -0400
I have had ferrets for years and they have come from every source,
mostly rescues, some from breeders and a couple from pet stores.

Last July I got one from the pet store. I was not looking for another
ferret but she just looked so scared and sad and lonely and well you
know how it goes. So Bela joined our family.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed her vulva was very swollen. I knew
that the possibilities were either adrenal or an incomplete spay.
She is only 14 months old. I immediately took her to my vet. She had
blood tests ultrasound. etc. The ultra sound did not show anything.
My vet consulted with other vets and it was agreed that Bela needed
exploratory surgery to determine whether the problem was adrenal,
an incomplete spay or had never been spayed at all.

A surgeon 4 hours away was contacted {there are no surgeons in my area
who will do adrenal surgery if that was what she needed] She asked for
more blood work and x rays and then operated a couple of days later. I
had to make the 8 hour trip back and forth 2 days in a row because she
had to stay overnight and I have 5 other ferrets at home and no one to
take care of them .My family and friends are terrified of ferrets.

Turns out Bela had never been spayed at all and the total of all the
bills was 3808.00. [I live in Canada and our vets are not cheap].

The surgeon told me she has encountered this once before and the pet
store owner is responsible for the vet bills. I may have to go to small
claims court. I had to borrow the money and I want it back!!! I have
no problem spending that kind of money on my ferret if it is necessary,
but this is crazy!

The good news is that I now have a ferret who has been spayed at the
age of 14 months which is fabulous for her.

I am photocopying all the bills and medical reports and taking them
to the pet store today. I will let you know how this turns out.

Inge