Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 11:10:55 -0500
Hi everyone!  I haven't written recently, but I can't go without commenting
on toys for the fuzzies as well as relationships between they and dogs.

I too have some of that dryer vent hosing for my two, and they do have such
a blast running in and out of it..its so cute to see one stick his head in
one end waiting for the other to come out, tail wagging a mile a minute!
Its a great place for them to escape from that GIANT ferret (my afghan
hound) that chases them around from time to time!

As for toys, my ferrets go absolutely ballistic when I bring out this .99
cent wind up mouse I picked up at conveniance store.  If they're hiding
anywhere, all I have to do is wind is up and let it go and they appear out
of no where nearly immediately!  One of the ferrets in particular would give
up his favorite sock to kidnap it and add it to his treasure trove...he gets
quite upset when I take it away, hissing and jumping up on my leg.  I don't
let them play with it too much though, as it has some metal parts which I'm
afraid they could hurt themselves on.

As for dogs and ferrets, I have a 13 year old poodle and an 11 year old
afghan hound.  My poodle tolerates the ferrets, but only barely so..they
seem to sense this and avoid him for the most part.  My afghan, on the other
hand, thinks they're her new babies.  The three of them (the two ferrets and
the dog) seem to have great fun running around the house and playing hide
and seek.  They love to jump up at her, and she whines and moans and bats
them around, but very gently...like she just wants them to mellow out so she
can love them. :)  I think I've been very lucky to have this kind of
harmony among my pets, though my bird hates everyone except me and I'd never
leave him out with the ferrets running around.

I guess that afghans are typically mellow dogs, and mine is indeed a lamb.
But they really do need lots of room to run, so Norma, I'm not sure it'd be
a great choice for apartment living unless you were willing to take it for
LOTS of walks!