From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:19:51 -0400
Hi, everyone,

As some people have already stated, adrenal surgery costs vary wildly.
Our vet charges about $485 for a left adrenal surgery, but that includes
pre surgical blood work, pathology on the tumor, and post-surgery
aftercare.  The surgery itself is less than $350 if I remember correctly.
Right adrenal surgeries are more difficult and cost more, and bilateral
surgeries cost more still.  The good news is that 80% of the time it's the
left gland, from what I've read.

I think far more important than the cost is the skill level and experience
of the vet.  We take our guys to a very experienced vet who sometimes sees
as many a a dozen ferrets in a day.  Thankfully, he is one of three really
good ferret vets in the area.  I've heard of cheaper vets, and I've also
heard horror stories about some of the results.  Adrenal surgery, provided
there are no other major health problems, has a very, very high success
rate when done by someone who is really qualified.

The usual disclaimer applies: I am not a vet.  We have had four adrenal
surgeries in our business (three left, one right), and all our ferts have
recovered beautifully.  When it comes to my weasels' health, I look at
qualifications over price every time.

All the best,
Caity and the exuberant eight