Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:18:35 -0400
Greetings everyone,

I write today to tell about Klyde Buddy.

Klyde came to us here as a rescue.  My Brother-In Law, Mike was looking for
a bigger cage for his fur children when he came across in the news paper,
Cage for a 99, Ferret goes free.  Mike knew we had been looking for a
second ferret to keep company to our deaf little girl.  So he called up us
and at 9:30 at night we drive out to get the cage and the ferret.  What we
saw was a very skinny male silver.  The owner was using the Whiskas to feel
Klyde.  He had one towel to sleep on and it was next to his litter box.  No
toys, nothing.  Once in a while she would take him out of his cage to go
have his nails done and a bath.  But she didn't let her child play with
Klyde because she didn't like the smell.  Well this wasn't even his first
owner we were told.  The original owner had Klyde for about 2 years when he
came to this woman to ask if she would house Klyde for alittle while, his
girlfriend didn't like ferrets.  Well a year past and when the lady try to
find the original owner she found out that he had moved out of state.  That
is how she ended up putting an ad in the paper.  Well we took him home.

The next day we took him to the vets to have him checked out and get him
updated on his shots, Klyde never got his shot the owner never knew she had
to take him to the vets.  Well Klyde turned out pretty healthy.  He only
weighed 1.6 lbs.  And his nails needed to be trimmed.  Within a short
amount of time on a better diet, Klyde became a 2.7 lb ferret.  He was a
really big kisser, not much on being held just wanted to run and run and
run.  But who could blame him.  This was the first time in a year that he
had really freedom.

Back in December 1998 Klyde was taken in to the vets because I believed he
had an attack of some kind.  We found out that Klyde had insulinoma.  So we
started him on pred twice a day and a mix of duck soup and he normal food
through out the day.  We decided that surgery wasn't a good idea.  Our vet
said he may not make it.  Here he was about 4 and half years old but we
don't know his true history for the first at least three years of his life.
Well I had only seen him go through one other attack when I help bring him
out of quickly.  No problems other then that.

Well yesterday was like any other day.  Mark had given Klyde his morning
dose of meds.  And I was in the ferret room in the evening playing with
them.  Around Midnight I had gone in there to give Klyde is final dose of
meds for the day.  That is when I found him in his favorite green
sweatshirt.

This morning we laid to rest our Klyde Buddy.  We buried him under the
pine trees because he loved digging under the needles and leaves to fall a
sleep.  Klyde please know that we love you and sorry that you didn't stay
longer.  We were glad to be able to give you two years of happiness and
love and a family to play with.  Now you have all the freedom you ever want
to go running.  And tons of great ferrets to meet on the other side of the
bridge.  Go with our love.

Melanie with Saleena Moor, Eirik the Red, Vivian Mae, Lugnut and Tsunami