From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:38:31 -0500
I keep reading about this video and I know Micki Wingate, but not the
breeder in Oregon with all of these supposed colors.  For clarification
purposes, you can call anything any color, but if it is not recognized by a
showing organization, what does it mean?  Some colors are called given
different names, like champaign and cinnamon (just different intensities of
the same color).

For example: Badger (FURO) = Shetland (IFA & NAFA) = Blaze (Independent and
LIFE) = a stripe going down the middle of the forehead.  Any dots of white
on the head are an incomplete stripe in all showing organizations, but I
have heard them called "stars" by some.

For anyone interested, this is really what all the colors sift down to:

COLORS:
Sable - black guard hairs and white or cream under coat, has a mask.
Chocolate - brown guard hairs and white or cream under coat, has a mask.
Cinnamon - red or sandy guard hairs and white or cream under coat, has a
slight mask.
Dark silver - colored guard hairs mixed with some white or cream, has a mask
and white feet.
Medium silver - colored guard hairs mixed evenly with white or cream, has a
slight mask and white feet.
Light silver - a few colored guard hairs mixed with a mostly white coat, has
no mask.  Eyes may be burgundy in color.
Dark eyed white - solid white coat with burgundy to black eyes.
Albino - white ferret with ruby red eyes.

PATTERNS (can be with any of the above colors except whites):
Mitts - ferrets with white feet.
Blaze - ferret has a white stripe starting at the nose and going between the
ears.  May have mitts.
Panda - Head is mostly if not completely white, white knee patches and mitts
are often present.
Siamese - Darker color on the legs and tail, V-shaped mask on face.
Patterned - Markings not fitting one of the above patterns.

There is a really nice color poster of ferrets out now, and if you want info
on it, please e-mail [log in to unmask] and leave a request for Sue Morrow.
 She will get back with you by phone or snail mail.

Pam

PS - I've tried this NUPRO ferret supplement, and it turns my ferrets off -
I use Brewer's Yeast with Grlic instead.