From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 07:11:26 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Tom Barney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Gizmo's & d-con mouse poison

The new rat poisons can hang around the body for a long time. Continue the
medication exactly as described.

>From:    Brett and Melissa Lapham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Strange and worrisome problem

I would consider an urinary tract infection on the top of the list.  Have
your vet do an urinalysis.

>From:    "D.Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical Advice and a Citizen's Action Plan
>My fert had a blood test in which the glucose level came back as 60.  The
>test said it was low - as the minimum was 79.  I was told not to worry but
>wanted to check

Consider your ferret a candidate for an insulinoma.  If the ferret is older
and has had any bouts of weakness, glassy eyed, etc., I would very strongly
suspect insulinoma.

Check out the FAQ on the disease next.

>From:    Dj Sures <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rabies Vaccine

The rules may be different in Canada.  Imrab3 is the only USA federally
approved ferret vaccine.  Legally this means that if it is not Imrab3, you
ferret is not vaccinated.

Imrab3 is a killed vaccine.  Modified Live Vaccines have the tendency of
giving rabies to a very small portion of the vaccinated population.  From a
legal standpoint, it may not be required.  (I m on my soapbox now) Good
preventive care for your ferret requires good communication skills between
you and your vet.  For the people who take their pets to the vet only for
required shots or when they are sick are missing a lot of good things that
can be done to maintain a higher quality and quantity of life for their pet.
The FML does a good job on spreading the word.  You are doing a good job in
questioning the rabies solutions offered by your vet.  (Off the soapbox).
Other killed vaccines may give the ferret immunity but the manufacturers
(Pfizer for Defensor) are not supporting it for ferrets in the USA.  As for
ordering it, the shelf life is about 1 year so I do not see a big reason why
you need to find 49 other ferrets quickly.  You need to find a ferret
friendly veterinarian locally.

>From:    Tina Femea <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and AIDS?

Ferrets do not carry HIV and I believe they do not act as a transmitter of
the virus (but I cannot give you 100% on that second statement).

>From:    Colin Easton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Health problem...
>Extremely intimate details follow...

The rectal tissue that leads to hemorrhoids in people does not exist in a
ferret so they cannot get hemorrhoids.  You are looking at some rectal
tissue protruding.  If it is a smalll amount (1-3 mm) and there are NO other
problems, use of creams to keep it soft helps.  If there is any other
problem (pain, constipation, more than 3 mm showing), have a vet look at it.

>From:    Marylou Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Incisor Teeth
>Recently I made a startling discovery - my adopted ferret,Rascal(2 year old
>sable female), is missing her lower four incisor teeth!  Has anyone ever...

Can be genetic (it is in cats and dogs), but usually not the incisors.  I
would suspect trauma or loss of teeth from periodontal disease.

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: teeth cleaning
>I've been reading a lot on the FML about teeth cleaning so I decided to look
>at Jitterbug and Monkey's teeth (it had never even occurred to me before).

Brushing teeth with a pet enzymatic toothpaste will help.  You probably need
to do it at least twice weekly.  Most tartar and plaque starts subgingivally
(under the gumline) so a proper cleaning under anesthesia is best.  You can
cosmetically help by scraping teeth yourself (available in pet catalogs) but
you will not change the course of any periodontal disease that starts under
the gumline.

>From:    "Robyn B. Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: parasites: Fleas and Coccidia
>A few days ago, and for the last few days, there have been some posts on
>fleas, discussing everything from using multiple bombs in your house to full
>nuclear strategic attacks.  However, I don't recall seeing any comments on

Lufenuron is available as Program by Ciba.  Use the cat dosing.  Very safe.
Coccidia is from undercooked/raw meat or eating other stool.  Is associated
with poor hygiene or multiple pet households.  It is routinely checked for
from pet stores or puppy farms.  Not to start another flame war but it is a
good idea to check for from any breeding farm.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA