From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:17:15 -0500
>Do you recommend pet sitters?  Have any of you ever used a professional
>pet sitter (for any pet, not just ferrets)?  If so, what certification
>did you look for?  And, I'm assuming you made sure they were bonded?  Do
>you check them out?  And, if so, how did you go about it?
>
>God bless,
>Robin

Robin,

Professional pet sitters are becoming more and more popular, and are a
great alternative to kennels for many dog and cat owners.  I have been a
pet sitter for a little over three years now, and many of my clients have
told me that their dogs are much more relaxed and happy than when they've
been away in a kennel.  The majority of my clients have dogs and cats, a
few have fish, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, snakes and lizards, but so
far I have none with ferrets!

When you interview pet sitters, ask whether they are insured and bonded,
and also get references and check them.  A good pet sitter will be more
than happy to provide you with references.

There are two national pet sitting associations, and you can go to either
of their web sites and enter your zip code to find member pet sitters in
your area.  These web sites also offer tips on how to choose the right
pet sitter.  These organizations are:

Pet Sitters International
http://www.petsit.com/

National Association of Professional Pet Sitters
http://www.petsitters.org

Good luck!

Nancy