Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:13:24 EST
I would like to hear from human companions with ferrets who viciously attack
all other ferrets (and other animals for that matter).  My Azrael has been
like this since he first took over my life at age 6 months.  He's now just
over four and has no tolerance for any other animals.

As some of you know, I made a home for George, one of the Alexandria
ferrets.  Poor George desperately wants to be friends with Azrael.  If I'm
holding Azrael while he's asleep, Georgie very slowly approaches and snuggle
up to sleep too, but if Azrael wakes up, I have to restrain him from
attacking George.  Nose tapping, saying "no", etc have no effect except that
he pouts and won't sit on my lap for awhile.  I've tried the traditional
methods of introducing ferrets.  This isn't the real problem.  I need
methods for rehabilitating an animal biter.

Azrael is not a biter in general.  He has never snapped at me for any
reason.  I can drag him out of bed whenever I want, poke any part of his
body, and punish him with no repercussions [although when I pull him out of
the garbage can, say "no", and shake my finger at him (not usually the
middle one), he will jump up and attack my leg and then run to hide behind
something].  When we play, he will bite me as hard as I will let him get
away with, but as soon as I say "be nice" he lets go and gives me a lick.
He's never drawn blood but has left indentations.  If he wants to play
really roughly, I give him his teddy bear and he will attack it viciously.

So what are your thoughts.  I absolutely!!!  cannot get another ferret for
George to play with, and I hope that some day Azrael can get some enjoyment
out of a relationship with another ferret.  I like to sleep with a ferret on
my feet.  Why shouldn't he?

Lorali J Barber
Production Editor
301-530-7038