From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:27:02 -0500
I had an idea for Sherri, the 13 year old who wants a ferret.  Will send
this to her, but also would like pointers/corrections/suggestions from
shelter keepers and those who have raised 13 year olds (the only kid I ever
helped raise was my sister due to my parents' very long work weeks, Mom's
illness, and then her death, and I was young myself so NOT someone with
adult judgement) to be posted on the FML so that she can watch the FML and
learn better than I will know.

Sherri, information is one of the most powerful of weapons.  For the start
of your learning, please, go to http://www.ferretcentral.org (NOT .com
which is much more recent and not at all the same thing), and every day
till you are done with them all, please, study a section in the writings
there (and maybe tackle some links).

Either after you have finished the basic FAQs or after you have finished
all the things go to the links for finding local ferret shelters.  If there
is a way you can get to the shelter, even if it's only on weekends, donate
your time to help there.  That will teach you more and give you a lot of
hands-on experience.  Meanwhile, you will get loads of furry kisses and
hugs from ferrets.  If you prove yourself enough to your mom by doing this
then she may be willing to adopt a ferret or more for you.

There are also some shelters which have fostering programs in which you
cover day-to-day care but they cover medical care at a specific animal
hospital.  I am thinking that with your age, and college coming up soon,
that you might be best off with an adult or even an older ferret who has
trouble dealing with other ferrets, but the medical costs which come when
old age hits can be high so you might want to foster such special-needs
individuals once you learn what you need to learn, and if your mom agrees.

Sukie, with Steve and 7 furballs who like to snuggle
P.S.  Oh, I wanted to let you know that FML well-wishes are POTENT!  Evan,
Steve's dad, had Sue, Steve's mom, teach him how to figure and find fat
calories and percentages yesterday!  FINALLY!  I'd also like to point
out that the sort of extended diet help they have used is not normally
available around them and we'd never have found it if it was not for a
wonderful FML member who got me to the ADA site, which then got me to the
head of the RD program in Missoula, who then recommended some individuals.
So, it was someone right HERE on-list who helped save Steve's dad, too!
Oh, and I even finally got a check which was sent after my phone call last
night (Fed Ex Saturday delivery) from that cosmetics catalog, so your kind
wishes must even extend to money matters.  <G> Now, as long as it doesn't
bounce like a ferret. ;-) Next project for the wishers: to prevent people
from closing primary polls in areas due to the locations' high minority
racial make-ups -- hey, you folks are powerful so why not extend your
fairness?! :-) Okay, I'll shut up on wishes now; am getting silly.  Maybe
I'll even catch up on the sleep on need.  Just think you hsould know that
the people here are GREAT!  Sure, we have our fights and our characters
(Who? Me?), but we're a group which is 50% larger than the town in which I
grew up and that town really beat the FML out on BOTH scores for frequency
and levels! :-)