From:
Laura Hamlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:46:55 -0800
Below is the law as it stands in Missouri (I know, I know, we're working
to get that changed); apparently, misdemeanor animal abuse is all they
can charge him with.

However, letters of support to the Prosecuting Attorney never hurt.
I believe this one is being handled by the County, not the City, so
use the below address:

Mr. Robert C. McCulloch
St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney
100 So. Central Ave.
Clayton, Missouri 63105
314-615-2600

I agree with Christine, who said to write calm, even letters; do not rant
and rave, as they will merely dismiss you.  Just state the facts and that
you support their charges against this man.

Laura

Note: forwarded message attached.
         ---
The following is from the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

"Stefan Albrecht of Yonkers, N.Y., was charged Friday in St. Louis
County with misdemeanor animal abuse. He is accused of killing a
ferret he had smuggled onto an airliner in a carry-on cooler. [etc....]

Here's the law:

578.012. 1. A person is guilty of animal abuse when a person:

(1) Intentionally or purposely kills an animal in any manner not
allowed by or expressly exempted from the provisions of sections
578.005 to 578.023 and 273.030, RSMo;

(2) Purposely or intentionally causes injury or suffering to an
animal; or

(3) Having ownership or custody of an animal knowingly fails to
provide adequate care or adequate control.

2. Animal abuse is a class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant has
previously plead guilty to or has been found guilty of animal abuse
or the suffering involved in subdivision (2) of subsection 1 of this
section is the result of torture or mutilation, or both, consciously
inflicted while the animal was alive, in which case it is a class D
felony.

Jeff