From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:35:02 -0500
My male ferret is VERY obstinate.  I cannot get him to use a litter box.
Once, when he was still a baby, he made in it, but then he got mad and
started screaming when he got near his excrement and dumped the box.  I have
tried for quite some time.  I used different litters and different boxes.
All to no avail.  I "adopted" another ferret, a stray my friend's brother
brought home.  My friend had her for a few months before giving her up, and
she claimed that the little one was litter trained.  So when I brought her
home, I had the new ferret Penthouse set up, never before inhabited.  I put
them both in together for the first time, and they hit it off right off the
bat.  I even took a mini cat litter pan and cut down one side so that they
would have easy access.  I cut holes in two corners and elaborately tied it
to the corner of the cage.  First thing they did was empty out the litter (I
was trying hay it this point).  Then, after a few days, they each took a
side, and worked on that litter box until they were able to at least flip it
over.  Then they took turns playing underneath it.  I have just gotten my
hands on the pelleted newspaper ferret litter (not common where I live due
to ferrets being "unwelcome" - it really was not available until recently)
and I am stalling my attempts at litter training.  I reaally do not know
where to begin at this point.  Does anyone have any suggestions?