From:
Debi Rodvelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 16:34:03 -0500
Debbie-
I recently had a cyst removed from one of my female's necks.  She is two
years old and has never had any previous illnesses.  The cyst was large
enough that my vet sedated her and cut it out rather than simply aspirating
it.  Everything looked fine until about 9 days later when I took her in to
have the stitches removed.  She had swelling all along the sutures and to
the side of the incision area.  My vet thought it could be aggravation from
the sutures, but said that sometimes non--cancerous tumors can come back
quickly to refill the void in the newly empty area.  The swelling continued
to grow over the next week, so we scheduled a second surgery.  Amazingly,
the night before the second operation, the swelling we away completely.
I think she knew she was going back to the vet and didn't want to miss
another day of playing with the rest of the herd.  :-)

My experience might not have anything to do with yours, but it's one more
cyst story for the archives.  I agree that more information on them needs
to be out there.  I couldn't even find references to them in a ferret
pathology book, let alone on any websites or message boards!

Good luck,
Debi