Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:48:50 -0700
>Ferrets are like kids, they won't accept new foods while something
>familiar is available.

Sure, but responsible parents gradually introduce new foods to children.
You'll have much better luck with them cooperating.  Humans also have
a much broader scope of food to choose from.  So your point above is
redundant.  The ferret has TWO choices.  What they've always eaten, or
something totally alien.  Not much of a selection.  Children also have an
advantage that ferrets don't.  The ability to comprehend the situation,
understand English, and can sometimes utilize their ability to reason.
The only thing a ferret is capable of understanding is that it's hungry
and there's no food to eat.

>I personally am comfortable letting a ferret go for 24 hours with only
>the new food, UNLESS the ferret is very young, old, or has health
>issues.  From the information I have read polecats often go without
>food for a day.

I'd recommend some easy reading for you.  Try the miamiferret website's
info on ECE and the dangers of ferrets going without food for an extended
period of time:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/ece.htm

Scroll right to the bottom of the page.  It'll tell you what the bare
minimum is for survival.  Sick or healthy, this is what they need to
SURVIVE.  It's the ABC's of bodily functions, no food = no new calories
to burn = target body fat tissues.  On a side note, when and if polecats
go without food for a day, it's most likely because they couldn't find
any.  That excuse certainly can't be used in this instance.  The food
is there, the ferret wants to eat, but the OWNER has decided HE/SHE wants
to "change things".  Someone who allows their ferret to go without food
in a controlled environment for more than a 6 hour period, does NOT have
that ferret's best interests at heart.

>Close monitoring is always recommended.  If a ferret hasn't accepted the
>new food in the 24 hours, give in and provide their regular diet, then
>try some other methods to try and persuade them to expand their menu.

Why not just avoid tormenting them altogether with starvation and try
other methods in the first place?

>Do you have any further information about this?  I am always interested
>in learning more.  Which organs, specific periods of time, etc?

Does this mean that some organs are more important than others?  Or that
you would be "comfortable" pushing the time limit?  Kibble is digested
within 4-6 hours after consumption.  That means, the body of a ferret
that hasn't eaten in 24 hours has nothing to maintain normal health for
18 hours.  This would cause the body to go into "fasting" mode, and will
start using up stored body fat.  For a more slender ferret, this can be
dangerous.  For one that's borderline diabetic/insulinomic - possibly
fatal (seizures, shock, etc.).  I'm always interested in learning more as
well.  Can you please explain the rationale behind your question above?

***For the record, I am neither pro nor con on this issue.  I AM however,
concerned about a number of things that have been mentioned lately.
Mainly, the SAFETY and well-being of these ferrets.  It's been noted that
the same has been said by most on both sides.  So there's no need to post
clarifying that.

Suzanne