Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:52:29 -0700
I have two dogs.

A Black Lab and a Golden Retriever. Both came in as puppies.

The Golden is the alpha, all toys etc are his. Fence protective,
somewhat animal (dog) aggressive.

He is very gentle with the ferrets, but I NOW never leave them
unsupervised. I used too, no more.

The Lab is very distressed when the ferrets play, especially if they
squeak. He barks, gives me a worried look as if to say *make it stop*.
I do.

He can also go over the barrier.
Would he attack a playing, squeaking ferret?
I don't know, not going to test him.
If I leave the room, he goes with me.

I love my dogs, and enjoy them very much. Having them *with* ferrets is
challenging. My ferrets would enjoy more out time, but have adjusted to
being in a barrier separated area, or in their cage when I can't be
right there.

The dogs would enjoy more in house freedom, but have adjusted to
*their* place, next to our chairs, my work/sewing room, etc.

I'm able to be home and devote time to my situation for the animals.
When I'm not, the pups are either outside, or in their area in the
garage if the weather is nasty.

I would suggest to anyone thinking of getting a dog of any breed,
decide ahead of time what you will do if it *doesn't work* the way
you hope.

Ardith