From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:15:52 +0000
>From:    "Jennifer D. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
>>I firmly believe that normal, healthy ferrets trained from kithood
>>should be 99%-100% accurate, especially in the cage.

>Your implication (and if I'm wrong about this, please let me know) is
>that any ferret owners who don't succeed in litterbox training their
>ferrets are not only incompetent but also mistreating their critters.

I am saying that it is possible to train normal, healthy ferrets who
were adopted as kits to be 99%-100% accurate, especially in the cage.

>I would like to point out that although having ferret poop all over
>your house (worst case scenario) is incredibly unpleasant and not
>entirely sanitary, it doesn't hurt the ferrets at all.

Unsanitary conditions do not hurt ferrets?

>>I didn't feel the need to clarify my statement with the words "normal
>>and healthy"  [...]

>Handsome (the ferret mentioned above) is going to his new home soon
>(maybe even tonight!), and he's absolutely wonderful.  He's also
>perfectly normal and healthy, and not quite a year old... he was just
>neglected somewhat by his previous owner  [...]

How can the ferret be both "perfectly normal and healthy" and also
"neglected somewhat"?

>There are many of us who really don't mind bird poop on our clothes or
>occasionally our hair--it washes out, and doesn't smell--or cleaning
>the occasional ferret lump out of the wrong corner.

I can understand having to deal with animal crap on your clothes or hair if
it's part of your job (vet tech, zoo keeper, shelter operator, etc.) but in
your own home?  I don't have time to list all the health hazards associated
with animal feces.  I think this is more of a job for the Health
Department.

And exactly who is being included in your use of the words "many of us"?
Anyone else out there ready to admit to accessorizing with animal crap?

As far as the last part of your statement, "occassional" is the operative
word.

-mel
~ Question the definition of Progress ~
        ~ www.Adbusters.org ~